Started by Roadman, September 21, 2017, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Topcat

Topcat

Brads70

Kinda sad /scenseless .... all that hard work, someone's dream and life's work destroyed due to bureaucracy....  crazy world sometimes. Lawyers and bean counters.....

Chryco Psycho

What a waste & shame .
I recall reading that the Rockefellers paid off Chrysler to cease with Turbine development as it would hurt their oil business .

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: Those were beautiful, unique cars.
Sheldon

340challconvert

gzig5

RzeroB

This pic that 340Chall.. posted reminds me of a sad story ...

Back in the day, I had a '68 Super Bee, 383 4 speed, turquoise with a white interior and stripe. It was a pretty car. Later I was moving out of the area, so I sold it to a coworker, Billy, at my old job and left town.

Six months or so later, I get a call from a different coworker, Jon, from my old job. During our conversation he says "did you hear about your old 'Bee??" "No" I reply, "tell me." Jon goes on to tell me how Billy hammered on that car and quickly blew up the 383. Billy then tried to replace it with another engine but could never get it going. Billy then moved to a different home in the area and abandoned the 'Bee curbside in his old neighborhood. After racking up a bunch of parking tickets, it eventually gets towed by the city. The city in turn hands it over to the city Fire Department who then use it as a vehicle fire "training aide." They purposely set it on fire ... and put it out ... over and over ... and over again! Jon said the last time that he saw it, it was nothing more than a melted, twisted, rusted hulk almost unrecognizable as having once been a car. It was a really sad ending to what was a very pretty car.  :'(
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

chargerdon

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 19, 2021, 06:19:36 PM
What a waste & shame .
I recall reading that the Rockefellers paid off Chrysler to cease with Turbine development as it would hurt their oil business .

You can read the full history of the chrysler turbine engine in Allpar or a synopsis in wikipedia.   Here is a quote from wikipedia:

"Chrysler's turbine engine program did not end with the Chrysler Turbine Car. A new coupe body, which was to become the 1966 Dodge Charger was considered for a new fifth-generation turbine engine. However, Chrysler went on to develop a sixth generation gas-turbine engine which finally met US nitrogen oxide regulations, and installed it in a 1966 Dodge Coronet, though it was never introduced to the public.

A smaller, lighter, seventh generation engine was produced in the early 1970s, when the company received a grant from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for further development, and a one-off, special bodied, turbine Chrysler LeBaron was built in 1977 as a prelude to a production run. However, by 1978 the company was encountering significant financial difficulties and new CEO Lee Iacocca needed U.S. government loan guarantees to avoid bankruptcy. A government condition of that 1979 deal was that the gas-turbine program be abandoned because they believed it was "too risky" for an auto company of Chrysler's size."

So according to wikipedia it was a condition for government bailout loan.   Truth be told, the engine never was able to reach the fuel economy needed to displace the good ole internal combustion engine.   While it could get good fuel economy on the highway, its city mileage was horrible due to need for high rpm idling...siting at a red light killed it.   

Now today all mfg are planning to make nothing but battery-electric vehicles in the next ten years.   This is despite the fact that right now they are NOT cost effective.   ticks me off that the us federal government has a $7,000 tax rebate attached to them.   True case of the poor who cannot afford $45,000 + vehicles are funding the rich thru tax incentives.     

Brads70

Floor dry to the track please.....

340challconvert

YellowThumper

Well this one just happened...
Edited to remove no longer available video
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

340Challman

:crying:  Looks like another case of street racing gone bad. Hope no one was hurt. What a shame for the car. Street racing is too dangerous. Was then, is more so now. Unfortunately, I'm sure if I were a teen I'd be doing it also.  :-[
Kevin

Mopsquad