Main Menu

Wrecked, destroyed, mangled Mopars

Started by Roadman, September 21, 2017, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodgemania

Man Dies After Crashing '70 Plymouth 'Cuda Into Telephone Pole

Delaware Online reports that a 65-year old man was driving his classic '70 Plymouth Barracuda at a high rate of speed when he lost control and hit a telephone poll. The accident left the driver dead and his classic Barracuda split into three pieces.
This story is made all the more tragic by the presence of family members, who had just brought the driver a fresh tank of gas after he ran out on the side of the road. Witnesses report seeing the driver fill up his car and then take off at a high rate of speed, crashing not far down the road where he ran out of gas.
The damage from the accident can be seen in the telephone pole, which was split at its base by the force of the collision. The driver, whose name has not been released was thrown from the car and pronounced dead at the scene. His car was split into three pieces, with the whole engine – a Gen II 426 HEMI – ending up over 100 feet from the point of impact. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and we hope this serves as a reminder to our readership to slow down, lest you end up like this unlucky soul.

61K T/A

Man I hope he had a heart attack and died before he hit the pole.   

BIGSHCLUNK

I hate to say it... but our cars a very structurally weak...  :bye:

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 18, 2018, 08:41:06 PM

I have to agree unfortunately.  :iagree:
Just wonder if more so than cars of that era or about the same say compared to a Mustang or Camaro.
Because definitely no debate way more dangerous than modern cars.

JS29

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on August 19, 2018, 06:36:07 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 18, 2018, 08:41:06 PM

I have to agree unfortunately.  :iagree:
Just wonder if more so than cars of that era or about the same say compared to a Mustang or Camaro.
Because definitely no debate way more dangerous than modern cars.
Let's take this into prospective!  how fast was he going!!!  did the welds fail or did the sheet metal rip. how much rust was in the cowl and framing of the car. it looks like it hit right at the hinge pillar on the left side of the car. look how far the car traveled after the fact, he was moving right along.  :alan2cents:   

HP2

He split a telephone  in two. Think about that for a second. Over a foot thick, log pole, soaked in  creosote. Sheared it clean off. I can't think  of any vehicle that would fair well in that situation.

YellowThumper

You also have the shear weight of the motor and transmission that isn't the same as modern cars.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RzeroB

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 19, 2018, 09:00:52 PM
You also have the shear weight of the motor and transmission that isn't the same as modern cars.

Yep, I've seen some additional pics of this particular wreck that are not included here and one of them is the Hemi sitting all alone a good distance from the rest of the wreckage.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

303 Mopar

Quote from: RzeroB on August 21, 2018, 12:52:48 PM
Quote from: YellowThumper on August 19, 2018, 09:00:52 PM

Yep, I've seen some additional pics of this particular wreck that are not included here and one of them is the Hemi sitting all alone a good distance from the rest of the wreckage.

This wreck happened in 2011.

BIGSHCLUNK

Yes speed , inertia, mass all are factors here. But as an auto recycler / parts dealer since the ealy 80's I've seen a ton of HARD hits, wierd off angle hits, and crazy stuff where you scratch your head and go how is that possible. That being said...  I hate to say it... but our cars a very structurally weak..

YellowThumper

On a morbid note. I wonder if motor was salvaged?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 21, 2018, 01:19:25 PM
Yes speed , inertia, mass all are factors here. But as an auto recycler / parts dealer since the ealy 80's I've seen a ton of HARD hits, wierd off angle hits, and crazy stuff where you scratch your head and go how is that possible. That being said...  I hate to say it... but our cars a very structurally weak..

Asking your opinion @BIGSHCLUNK
Uni-body was being promoted heavily by Mopar then.
Still, Just wondering if Mopars were more structurally weak or stronger than cars of that era or about the same say compared to a Mustang or Camaro.
Because, definitely, no debate way more dangerous than modern cars.

RzeroB

In a way it reminds me of the 24 hours of Lemans disaster in the '50's. A Mercedes racer hit the barrier in front of the grandstands head-on and the hood and motor tore through the crowd killing a bunch of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhznOwSRGew
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

GY3R/T

Who knows how much frame and sheetmetal were replaced or modified in the resto.   :dunno:

BIGSHCLUNK

@CudaMoparRay

I'm going to take the dare here and prolly open a slippery slope. This will be in NO particular order and I'm sure I will think of more things as time goes on. 

The first thing is AGE.... lots of old tech metal here. And old welds. I could take a sawsall and cut our cars in half without much of an issue. Try that on a newer car... The metals used now on mopes is way different. And been improving as time goes. Try cutting thru a rocker on a new Chally... Unless your using a Boron blade ($) and the right saw setting (or a chop saw) your not cutting jack.

2nd... lets talk flex. How many of us here are using some type of subframe connecters / inner braces / ect? I know I am, albeit some setups are better than others, every little bit helps.   There's a reason why I have cracks in my paint. Shake it up baby now, twist and shout !

3rd.... New cars are designed with "crumple" zones... our car is the "crumple" zone... 

4th.... design. Altho a very similar in basic design,  the proof is in the pudding so to speak....

Let's compare my 69 RR to a 12 Charger and a 13 Chally.....  Both of the frame horns are swayed way to the right, but the cowls are still intact.
And speed at time of collision was not 100MPH. The same hits in one of our cars.....  :Thud:

I gotta get back to work now  :wave: