Main Menu

Wrecked, destroyed, mangled Mopars

Started by Roadman, September 21, 2017, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

I used to frequently visit several of  my local salvage yards back in late 70's and early 80's
There were plenty of sad Mopars that could have been taken home and put back on the road after some work.

I used to collect the build sheets from some of them; I look at the sheets today and also wish I had the sense to pick up some of those cars.
:bye:
I long for those days.

Here is one that will really make you cry  :'(

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Wow! The 70 Charger 500 was at a salvage yard past Mountain Lakes, NJ it was in better shape than the 69 I was working on... :Thud:

340challconvert

1Burgfish
I have seen what you are talking about. Usually a pretty complete car in decent shape that sits in a junk yard with the 4 tires missing and is laying on the ground.  I have recollections of many different cars sitting like that.

Are you referring to the salvage yard in Pine Brook (Montville) on the 46 west that was there in the late 70's/early 80's?

It sat where the Rt 46 narrowed into one lane and curved around to the west.  A Home Depot sits across the highway now.

It was a huge yard and is used today at what looks like some kind of car storage facility.  It was always visible from the highway.  :thinking:

cuda hunter

Quote from: 340challconvert on February 13, 2019, 08:57:58 AM
I used to frequently visit several of  my local salvage yards back in late 70's and early 80's
There were plenty of sad Mopars that could have been taken home and put back on the road after some work.

I used to collect the build sheets from some of them; I look at the sheets today and also wish I had the sense to pick up some of those cars.
I long for those days.

My lord!  a triple black V code !!  Wow!  And that was in a yard? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

In all my years of yarding I've only seen one challenger, a few chargers, a few a body barracuda's and some of the larger cars. 
Not many available in colorado in the past 15 years.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Morty426

Quote from: 340challconvert on February 13, 2019, 08:57:58 AM

I long for those days.

Wish I had thought to remove build sheets and tags from back in those days of all kinds of cars in the wrecking yards. 

1Burgfish

:wrenching: 340challconvert if I remember correctly yes, I believe that same day I went to PST and Kanter auto parts in Boonton to pick up some parts for the Charger. The Salvage yard was off route 46 just before a bridge if I remember right. :thinking:

340challconvert

Quote from: 1Burgfish on February 13, 2019, 03:13:32 PM
:wrenching: 340challconvert if I remember correctly yes, I believe that same day I went to PST and Kanter auto parts in Boonton to pick up some parts for the Charger. The Salvage yard was off route 46 just before a bridge if I remember right. :thinking:

That was a great junk yard, you were allowed to browse and no one bothered you.
I remember climbing into a 70 Challenger that was stacked on top of two other cars.
I climbed up and jumped in and found a love hornets nest; Man I jumped down quick and ran and was lucky to have only been stung 2 x.  Believe it or not a good memory!  :o

Kantor Brothers are still in Boonton, but I think they may have moved to a different facility
They sell a lot of old repair parts for old and very old cars and are now doing some resto work.

Morty426

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 13, 2019, 01:37:59 PM
In all my years of yarding I've only seen one challenger, a few chargers, a few a body barracuda's and some of the larger cars. 
Not many available in colorado in the past 15 years.

You missed the golden age of yarding in the 80s and 90s - man there were some great cars in yards. 

Chryco Psycho

Jay Bee

Posted yesterday by a cc.c member. The whole story and many more pictures in the link.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=122298.0

RUNCHARGER

Darn: I hate to see that happen to an old car that is 45 years old. It looks like it protected it's occupants though.
Sheldon

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

He has Hagerty insurance.........waiting to see how this turns out as probably a lot of us have Hagerty.....

Brads70

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Man I miss going to yards like that, I used to drive all over North Jersey and parts of Pennsylvania looking for yards to see if they had anything interesting languishing in the weeds or on top of other cars....