Main Menu

E-Body Tire Sizes (what fits, what's too big, what looks good)

Started by Timbbuc2, October 16, 2017, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Novice

Quote from: HP2 on September 03, 2022, 07:38:04 AM
Quote from: Waco on July 21, 2022, 03:06:04 PM
Who has a 295/50r15 in the back?

What size rim should I do? 8" wide or 10"?

Will I need to relocate the springs or not?

Neither, 9.5 is best. However, either of those will work. 8" requires you run lower pressure, 10" makes the tire look a bit stretched, IMO.

You will need to move springs for a 10" rim IF you want the tire to sit inside the fender lip. if your raising you car higher, then it may not matter. If your using a 3.5" backspace rim of either size, you absolutely will have to raise the car.

I like the look of your rear.... Did you mini tub or no? I really don't want to if I don't have to. A lot of work IMO. I will be happy running a 10.5 wide tire.

HP2

Quote from: Novice on May 11, 2023, 12:59:24 PM
Quote from: HP2 on September 03, 2022, 07:38:04 AM
Quote from: Waco on July 21, 2022, 03:06:04 PM
Who has a 295/50r15 in the back?

What size rim should I do? 8" wide or 10"?

Will I need to relocate the springs or not?

Neither, 9.5 is best. However, either of those will work. 8" requires you run lower pressure, 10" makes the tire look a bit stretched, IMO.

You will need to move springs for a 10" rim IF you want the tire to sit inside the fender lip. if your raising you car higher, then it may not matter. If your using a 3.5" backspace rim of either size, you absolutely will have to raise the car.

I like the look of your rear.... Did you mini tub or no? I really don't want to if I don't have to. A lot of work IMO. I will be happy running a 10.5 wide tire.

If you are asking me, no, I did not tub the rear wells. I moved springs in 1" per side, used a B body housing, 15x10 w/5" backspace, and a 305 tire.

71Challenger

As the restoration of my girl was about to wrap up, I was on this topic daily (multiple times) for about 2 weeks stressing over what size wheels and tires to buy. I figured I owe to the next guy in my shoes to post another one and show what I selected. I am pleased with how these wheels and tire combos finished out the car. The stance is just right to not be too aggressive for a base model with 318, 4bbl, auto.
Was: 14x6 rallye wheels with 215/70s
Now:  front - 235/60s on 15x7 American Racing VN515
          Rear - 255/60s on 15x8

DustyDave

I currently have Mopar rallies on the front of my '73 'Cuda with P215/65/15 T/As. I want to run Keystone Klassic wheels, however, you seem to have no choice in backspacing if ordering from jegs or summit or any other normal places. I want 15x6" on the front with the same tire size, but these wheels only come with a 3 inch backspace and a -3 mm offset. These are very expensive wheels and I don't want to spend the money and then have them not look good. I'm just not sure that's a good backspace for look I want... But again you have no choice. If you want this wheel, you have to buy what they offer. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this would look? I prefer to have everything tucked up inside the wheel well (as it currently is) instead of out, flush with it...

DeathProofCuda

@71Challenger

Looks great with the new wheels!  Do you know what the backspacing is for your new wheel set?

71Challenger

T/R

Hi,is it possible to fit 10x18 bs 6"/et12 front and rear on a 70 Challenger?

E-body 8 3/4 axle, caltracks and split monos, but will change to hotchkiss leafs and dr.diff offset chackle/hanger kit.
Rear drums and std front discs,
Plan to upgrade brakes and that will increase the track a bit.

Rear i'm quite confident 10x18 6"backspace will fit with offset springs (and small spacer or discbrakes) but 6"bs front im not shure about.

Brads70

Quote from: T/R on February 16, 2024, 02:21:36 AMHi,is it possible to fit 10x18 bs 6"/et12 front and rear on a 70 Challenger?

E-body 8 3/4 axle, caltracks and split monos, but will change to hotchkiss leafs and dr.diff offset chackle/hanger kit.
Rear drums and std front discs,
Plan to upgrade brakes and that will increase the track a bit.

Rear i'm quite confident 10x18 6"backspace will fit with offset springs (and small spacer or discbrakes) but 6"bs front im not shure about.

I believe it will in the rear after offsetting the springs but no it won't in the front. Steering arm/tie rod will hit.

HP2

At 18" diameter, it will still hit the tie rod end?

At 10" wide, I think the bigger issue would be fender lip clearance.

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on February 17, 2024, 08:54:11 AMAt 18" diameter, it will still hit the tie rod end?

At 10" wide, I think the bigger issue would be fender lip clearance.
I believe so, especially with the 6" backspace he asked about. Mine just clears ( 18x11 w 5" BS) but I have also dropped the tierod and other 1" or more to help with bumpsteer. Remember although it sounds like a 9" radius (18 divided by 2) the hoop of the rims goes down around another 1" for the bead and strength. Also with 6" backspace I would think the tire would rub on the frame rail at turn lock. 

Edit : yes, agreed, fender lip would also hit.

T/R

Thanks guys, so 10" front wheels are only possible if i pull out my fenders and less than 6" BS.
The rims i want only come in 8"or 10" x18 (AR Groove) and i rather have 275 than 245 front tyres.
Well well maybe i'll settle with 8"x18" wide front rims then.  :thinking:

Now she uses shoes in 245/60-15 295/50-15 on 8x15 police wheels.
And i have a set 14" Rally wheels with Dunlop GT Qualifyer in L60-14/ F60-14.

Performance tyres in 15" are rear so i need a bigger wheelset for those winding roads.

PsyOps

I reviewed the chart posted earlier in this thread and noted a 15x10 wheel with 6" BS and 1/4" spacers using a standard width E-Body rear end.  Would I be correct in thinking a 6.5" backspace wheel could be used 'as is' with the B-Body D60 or, if not, what is the appropriate width spacer?  Thanks in advance.

Brads70

Quote from: PsyOps on March 03, 2024, 02:53:23 AMI reviewed the chart posted earlier in this thread and noted a 15x10 wheel with 6" BS and 1/4" spacers using a standard width E-Body rear end.  Would I be correct in thinking a 6.5" backspace wheel could be used 'as is' with the B-Body D60 or, if not, what is the appropriate width spacer?  Thanks in advance.
With the B-Body width rear end I believe it's a 5" backspace on a 10" rim

HP2

Quote from: PsyOps on March 03, 2024, 02:53:23 AMI reviewed the chart posted earlier in this thread and noted a 15x10 wheel with 6" BS and 1/4" spacers using a standard width E-Body rear end.  Would I be correct in thinking a 6.5" backspace wheel could be used 'as is' with the B-Body D60 or, if not, what is the appropriate width spacer?  Thanks in advance.

It depends. This thread has been going on so long I don't recall what chart you are referring to and honestly, I'm too lazy to go digging for it. So here is my take on it.

First, a 10" wheel will not fit within the fender lip with the leaf springs in the original location. If you are lifting the body so high the wheel/tire can stick out past the body line, then it doesn't matter. If you want to tire to actually tuck up behind the wheel opening lip, then the 10" won't fit unless you move the springs in at least an inch.

This is because the E body springs are splayed wider at the rear mounting point than they are at the front and the wider wheel you use, the greater the chance of spring interference because the springs are the first structural component you hit before you have wheel well interference. 10" wheel with any backspace great than 4.5" and a 305-325mm tire will hit the leaf springs in the rear section. Conversely, any wheel with only 4.5" backspace is going to put the tire into the wheel opening lip.

Once you do move the spring in, then you need to adjust the backspace on the wheel based on the rear axle housing you are using. If using the stock E body housing, then yes, 6" backspace would work. If using a 71-74 B body housing, then 6.5" of backspace is needed. If using a 68-70 B body housing, then 5.5" backspace. If using a 65-67 B body housing, then 5" backspace.

So, yes, it is possible to use a B body housing and a 6.5" backspace wheel without a spacer and still have it all fit, but it depends on which B body housing you use and what you do with the leaf springs.

PsyOps

Quote from: HP2 on March 03, 2024, 11:03:46 AMThis thread has been going on so long I don't recall what chart you are referring to and honestly, I'm too lazy to go digging for it...
The chart is the spreadsheet in Post #95 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fv1Gj5MqL7wPhw-z2qCs-qM3l_FDijDluqXdql1QsQ0/edit#gid=0).

That being said, I was unaware of the triangulation effect of the splayed rear frame rails - good to know.  Thanks HP2.  Guess it's time to break out the tape measure. 

This brings up another question; If the front spring mounts are moved in to the frame rails & the springs made parallel, are different shocks used or is that change of shock alignment negligible?