Main Menu

1970 AAR Cuda Front Windshield Trim

Started by FIAARMN, May 17, 2020, 09:14:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

About to install the front windshield outer trim. I have the original that is a little beat up and I have a brand new replacement that I will be installing.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions?  Any references I can review or videos some now about to watch. Been searching and have not found anything too detailed yet?
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

Rich G.

Put a piece of tape on the roof where all the clips are so can see better where you need to push down directly on the trim. Depending on if you have new clips you might need the trim tool to pull the clip down a little if it's to tight.

anlauto

Step one, make sure all the clips are in place, free of debris and junk and in good solid condition. Tape is a good idea to protect the paint. They should clip in place fairly easy.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FIAARMN

So when they put the window in when they painted the cart, one of the clips on the driver side, side of windshield sits up high, much higher than the rest and over the body.

below you will see the normal height of the top clips.  this side clip, is raised higher and had a lot of sealant around it.

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

JS29

Who ever installed the glass did a sloppy job.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

Hard to tell but it looks like you're missing some clips too. Did they just paint and install this windshield or is this an older job?

anlauto

I can barely see the clips. :dunno:  You're not going to want to hear my suggestion  :-X
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

I will take the bullet! You may want to R@R the windshield.  :sorry:

Rich G.

I didn't have the heart to say that! But that's what needs to be done.

anlauto

Glad you guys said it...I don't like delivering bad news  :rofl: :rofl:

JS29

That job has been handed to me so meany times in my family and business that i lost count.  :notsure: 

FIAARMN

This was done on 1995, when the car was painted, Rumor has it Uncles buddy did the windshield install, front and rear as a favor....  I agree, t was done poorly. The rear window has the trim on it but you can see the inside of the window had some areas the sealant leaked over

I have a body guy that will be coming over to look at it, If it means removing the windshield and doing it right, then that is what we will do.

How many trim clips should there be total, sides and top?

FIAARMN

I have two trim clips on the sides and six across the top. Is this accurate?

anlauto

I believe it's usually three on each side :thinking:
If you can get it to lay flat, you could always use urethane to help secure it....then fix it properly down the road if you decide to restore the whole car one day :dunno:

FIAARMN

Yes, I have thought of that and a couple of other ways........