Main Menu

Any advise on 70 Cuda leaf spring replacement ?

Started by gaddied, December 02, 2021, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gaddied

I am going to replace my 70 Cuda rear leaf springs with Espo leaf springs I bought. After 50 years the leaf springs are not up to where stock height should be .
So my question is how did you do your leaf spring replacement ?
Any advise would be great.

73_Cuda_4_Me

I just changed the springs on my 73 this past summer...

Put the car on jack stands, removed rear valence, put floor jack under rear axle to support the weight, removed rear shackle plates, removed lower shock from spring plate, removed sway bar links, removed spring perch clamps from axle and dropped spring plates.

Springs now hanging by front mounts and rear shackles.

Removed shackle on one side, lowered rear of spring to garage floor, then removed front mount plate nuts (soaked with penetrant several times before doing this), then lowered front of spring to garage floor. Remove front bushing bolt/nut (again lots of penetrant), with spring on it's side and a couple of pcs of 2x4... used BFH and drift punch to get bolt out of bushing.

Repeat for other side...

Installed new Mopar Performance XHD springs (6 leaf DS and 7 leaf PS 440/426 springs) - because that is the size bushing I had on mine when I got it, but mine only had 5 leaf springs on each side - using reverse order of disassembly...

Everything went smoothly, took about 2 hours total, and rear sits about 1-1/2 inches higher, which is just what I wanted.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Rich G.

gaddied

Bullitt-

Took mine out for refinish a while back... The buggy worked well. 

Plan on new U-Bolts I was told..
            https://www.manciniracing.com/mancini7ubolts.html

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

gaddied

Quote from: Bullitt- on December 05, 2021, 09:39:54 AM
Took mine out for refinish a while back... The buggy worked well. 

Plan on new U-Bolts I was told..
            https://www.manciniracing.com/mancini7ubolts.html

Sweet thanks for the photo and help.