Main Menu

1972 426 Hemi

Started by cuda hunter, June 03, 2018, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Just the block. 
Not sure about heads and other parts yet.
Don't have pictures.  I've seen the block many times over the past 15 years.

I'm going to go watch this older fella start up his aluminum race hemi funny car.   While I'm there I"m going to get a solid price on this engine.  But I have no idea what it's worth.   
Would be nice to know a ball park value.

Anyone have any information on 72 Hemi's? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

They used the original castings (2 of them) up until 1974.  Most of the production E-Bodies (both 1970 and 1971) got 1969 casting blocks.  The later 1972 to 1974 426 castings were for over the counter sales and racing.  They did not do many castings those years so they can be pretty hard to come by.  Condition and bore size will determine the price.  Make sure to have it magnafluxed first.  If it's clean and a good usable block I could see it going in the $4,000 to $7,000 range.  Might pull more if you get it out there on the market for a bit and wait for the right buyer.  Would be less if you need to sell it fast.   :alan2cents:  I could be off.   I have not purchased a 72+ hemi block in a few years.

blown motor

So it sounds like they still produced the 426 after '71 but it was just sold as an engine and not put into a production model. Is that correct?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Yes.  :yes:

Quote from: blown motor on June 04, 2018, 05:57:48 AM
So it sounds like they still produced the 426 after '71 but it was just sold as an engine and not put into a production model. Is that correct?

blown motor

The things I learn from you guys! You should have all been teachers, maybe auto shop teachers. Ya, that would have been good. "Ok class, today we're going to skip the basics and go straight to how to build a stroker!"    :crazytalk:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Yes: They sold shortblocks and bareblocks for a few years. I would say $4k-$7k or so as well if it's in good condition. You really have to watch old racer hemi parts. Most of them were overmachined and overused. A lot of those blocks from that era came decked from the factory, it means you would have trouble getting an intake to fit as well as having to take that into account when specing pistons. I would measure the bores (lots of them are at .070 now) and measure the intake end rails. Other than that you want it magnafluxed including the main webs. The block could be filled with cement as well.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

Ok, so before buying it I would need to magnaflux as well as mic the piston bores. 
How do I measure the intake end rails.

This will be my first hemi so I am totally unfamiliar with this motor. 

What is the standard bore on this motor? 

Can yal give me an approximation of how much all the other parts are going to cost.  Not broken down, but 5K for the rest, 10K?
More? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Take a caliper, stock bore is 4.25, so if it's at 4.31 it is .060 over. You can just measure the intake end rails with a caliper as well, they should be the same length as an untouched 440 block. The block is worth something, most likely the innards are not. If it doesn't have aluminum rods the crankshaft may be worth a few dollars but if it is stock stroke no one uses them anymore. If it is a stroker crank it likely uses aluminum rods too and it would cost money to balance for a street engine and it may be cracked so figure zero value.
In cases like this you may have to feel the guy out a bit. He probably paid good money for the parts and might still think they have a high value. If they look used up and he thinks they are worth a lot you may be better off not offering fair value as he might get insulted. However, maybe the opposite is true, he may have bought them for spares and didn't touch them and is reasonable in what he thinks they are worth.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

It's a been a few years since I saw the block.
As I recall it's in pretty good shape.  He said it would be a runner.

Of course I will check everything.  And get a flux done if I decide it's worth the value.

He has multiple aluminum hemi blocks.  So he never raced this one as he didn't need to.

The guy tells me about back in the day having truck size piles of hemi pistons and heads. Thrown out for better racing parts of course. 
all scrapped. 

thanks guys.  Will update when I get a chance to meet up with him.  Or whenever I get called to come see the funny car start.