Main Menu

Rear Leaf Spring Question

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 16, 2022, 09:24:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I searched on here and Google and again did not find the answers I am looking for, although I am sure this has been asked and answered somewhere -

Looking to replace my rear leaf springs and wondering if there is something out there that is an exact replica, or what are you all doing for your restorations?  I am trying to stick to as true and correct original as I can if there is something available. 
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

blown motor

Find a spring shop that will re-arch your original springs.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70_440-6Cuda

Problem is, I do not think they are the correct springs - at some point the original Dana was swapped for an 8-3/4, and it does not have the heavy duty lower leafs.  I will have to see if I can find some stampings on them anywhere.  That is why I was asking if there is a good factory replacement that is true to original
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

You have a lot of weird things removed from your car back in the day....wonder if it's re-tagged ?  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2022, 11:10:02 AM
You have a lot of weird things removed from your car back in the day....wonder if it's re-tagged ?  :thinking:

@anlauto I was wondering the same thing to be honest but I do not think so.  I am by NO means an expert, but I took the car over to my friends restoration shop (he specializes in metal work and still uses silver solder instead of Bondo) and had him go over the chassis, inner fenders, cowl etc looking for any signs of repair because I thought the same as you and there is not any evidence of any of the body being modified (maybe when I strip it down to paint it will be a different story :dunno:).  There are no rust repairs at all, and all of the spot welds and floor seams all look to be in tact.  I do have the broadcast sheet so that did clear up some of the odditiies like the Gran Coupe style headliner.

The VIN on the radiator support and cowl match - so my question is why the fiberglass front clip?  The only thing I could think is someone was building a drag car...but then why remove the Dana?  The whole car sort of makes no sense, except I was told by the previous owner the car was in need of restoration when he got it in the late '80's, hence the '90's style resto.  My understanding is it was a drag car (dumped the original front clip and the original seats for weight) and when they sold the car kept the Dana.  Previous owner had the car since about 1988 from what I understand.  Last title transfer was in 1991 before I got it.

Thing is, if you were going to go to all that trouble to re-tag it, why build it as it is, that would defeat the purpose?

anlauto

Yea, seems odd...but a lot can happen in 52 years :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: EV2RTSE on August 16, 2022, 10:52:05 AM
These are available from Tony's -

https://www.tonysparts.com/all-parts/3400024-34-1970-1971-E-Body-440-6bbl-Hemi-Lower-Leaf-Springs-p372008385

Yes, I am aware of those parts, but am in need of the 440-6 or Hemi replacement leaf springs - I have seen the best option is to have them made by Eaton, is this still the best option to get as close as possible to original?

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/1970-extra-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-springs-3400024-rh-and-3400034-lh/13918/msg188030#msg188030

MoparLeo

Is anything original on this car?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

johnr

The rear springs on the car that I am doing had a similar problem of the wrong springs came out of the car (a serious lack of leafs). I am not doing a period correct restoration, but I chose leaf springs from Classic Industries to get the 6 leaf spring that should have been there. $538.99 and MR3129. Might be worth looking into.
--  johnr  --

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: MoparLeo on August 16, 2022, 11:59:33 AM
Is anything original on this car?

engine, trans and original sheet metal for the most part - my plan is to restore it correctly if I am going to do it, so just trying to educate myself on best practices and most accurate parts if I can't find original - thanks

Skdmark

1. Hunt down an OEM set and have them rebuilt/rearched
2. Get a set from Eaton Detroit and swap in Tony's lower leafs with the part numbers. Maybe ask if they could swap them in fr you when they build them.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70_440-6Cuda

70_440-6Cuda

I am still trying to hunt down a set of original 440-6 / Hemi rear leaf springs, but no luck yet.  If anyone has a line on a set PM me.

I am going to order a set from Eaton next week, anyone have any experience with these and know how close to original they are?  I am going to add Tony's lower leafs.

Eaton springs says they are 6 leafs on each side is that correct?  And then add Tonys 1/2 leafs?  Thanks   Working with a '70 440-6 Cuda

Banana

Since there is a leaf spring thread............for 1970 e-body built around April, was black finish on the springs, or was there a switch to natural during 70, or 71,  model year?

Were they assembled natural, then the assemblies sprayed black? or leaves sprayed, then assembled?

Any threads on fully restoring a spring set?

Mine getting rusty and was going to do a refresh.

Thanks