Main Menu

Rear Leaf Spring Eye Brackets With Pics

Started by Daveh, March 09, 2017, 07:11:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hi Guys,

I'm putting back together the Challenger after paint and I have a question about the leaf spring brackets.  I noticed the ones that I have are different than what the Dodge Chassis Service Manual says or Year One.  Theirs only has one hole for the leaf spring the ones that came on my car are different.  Mine has 2 holes for the leaf spring I'm guessing for height adjustment?  Is one better than the other? What are your thoughts?  Thanks

Dave

Cuda Cody

Looks like the one you have is aftermarket.  My guess would be to change the rider height.   :notsure:  All the one factory hangers I've seen look like the one in the manual.

Daveh

I thought that also do you see a disadvantage in keeping what I have? 

Cuda Cody

I like stuff stock, but the one you have will probably work just fine.

Looks like each side is set to a different height right now on your car?

Quote from: Daveh on March 09, 2017, 07:24:30 AM
I thought that also do you see a disadvantage in keeping what I have?

RUNCHARGER

I don't have a Challenger here to look at right now but you might have shorter A-body springs in your car. That spring eye looks back a bit from normal? Has the car been raced? It may have Super Stock springs in it.
Sheldon

Daveh

This is an answer I received from the Cuda Challenger site.  It's a convertible and shows no signs of ever being drag raced. 

"You have Super Stock hangers and springs under your car. These leafs are two inches shorter in the front segment. They use a longer hanger with the two mounting holes you see. They are not original to the car, but are factory issued aftermarket."

So are they like that for adjustability?  Should I keep them? 

fc7cuda

:iagree:

Those are Mopar Performance longer front leaf spring brackets typically used with super stock springs due to the front segment being shorter.  It's important to know what spring you are using because using those brackets will affect it's location.  Proceed cautiously.

Tom

RUNCHARGER

Nothing wrong with them. If you change them to the stock hangar you also require the correct springs to match up. I forget now is your car a factory U-code? If it is I would find the correct springs and hangars, if it is a G-body Hot Rod I would leave them in if you are okay with the ride height and ride qualities.
Ah, on second thought it is a convertible. The springs are biased and can be a different height right to left, probably why the eyebolts are in different positions. Convertible bodies are flexible as it is. If you don't have frame connectors I think I would hunt up the original stuff if it was my car.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

If you keep the leaf springs, you'll need those hangers.  It's kinda nice to have that adjustable set up.  But how does the car sit for height?  Is it about where you like it in the back?

Burdar

It depends on what SS springs you have. 

The SS springs have left and right part #s.  If you use a left and a right spring, the car will NOT sit level.  The right side spring is stiffer for drag racing.  The right side of the car will sit higher.  Some people use (2) left side springs instead of one left and one right.  This gets you a stiffer spring without the lop sided stance.  Since you're pictures show the front spring eye in the top hole on one side and the bottom hole on the other side, I think you have left and right springs.  Someone was trying to level out the stance and this is how they went about doing it.

I'm not sure that was a good idea.  I'm not sure how the different spring eye heights will affect the handling. 

Burdar

The way I see it, you have a few options...

1. Buy a new set of E-body specific springs AND E-body hangers.
2. Keep the hangers you have and install another "left" side SS spring on the right side of the car.(then you can put the front spring eye in the same hole on both sides)
3.  Keep the hangers you have and install some MP Road Race leaf springs.  They use the hangers you already have and come in 0 arch or 1" arch.  Then you can fine tune the rear end height with the front hanger.

In your case, it depends on what height the rear end is at now and if you like it where it is.  The cheapest solution might be #2.  I got a great deal on #3 from a dealer though.  Each spring was less than $90. 

Brads70

I agree with what was said, I have them in my car but offset for a B-Body spec rear end. ( to allow wider tires/offset rims, etc..)
If you get a chance post up a picture of the left and right spring packs? I'm also guessing it was super stock springs installed  , that would explain the different mounting positions. ( trying to level the car)

Daveh

The car sits a little higher than I would like, not by much.  I'm old school, I'm not a fan of slamming them low to the ground.  The springs were installed by the previous owner.  Since they were new I figured they would settle down a bit.  When I got the car the ass end underneath looked pristine before I took it apart for paint what a mess.  But when you have the quarters and trunk replaced that's going to happen. 

When I first got the car I moved the one spring to level out the car.  I did buy a set of new springs a couple of years ago from Dave at Roseville.  Their at home.  It was like 4 years ago and I need to look at what springs I bought when I get home.  I can't remember.  That should help me decide how to proceed. 

Below are more pics.  I'm going to be using 255 60 15's and that's what's on there now.  I also included pics of the perch as well.  Let me know what you think. 

RUNCHARGER

Yes: They're biased for sure. I don't like them sitting up like that but it's your car. My old Duster sat 2 inches higher on one side than the other with those springs, not what you want in a street car that should go around corners. Have a look at the other springs you have, the factory XHD springs had the half leaf pointing forward on the right spring and back on the left spring and the car will sit level.
Sheldon

Daveh

I e-mailed Dave and he said that I just purchased the stock springs from him.

P4452984
P4452985

If that's the case why can't I just use the same brackets?  It's not a concours car.  As long as they are safe why not?  Give me the ability to adjust the height if I want too?  Thoughts...

Thanks again