Main Menu

Dashboard cores

Started by Duodec, June 07, 2023, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

Anyone know if the OE steel frames for dashpads are different for A/C vs non-A/C and one vs three speakers?  Are there differences in the frames?  Or only in the foam/padding/etc applied to them?   I know the difference in the pads themselves but would like to know if there would be an issue returning (for example) a non A/C dashpad core when purchasing an A/C one.

Thanks

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Duodec on June 07, 2023, 06:41:43 PM
Anyone know if the OE steel frames for dashpads are different for A/C vs non-A/C and one vs three speakers?  Are there differences in the frames?  Or only in the foam/padding/etc applied to them?   I know the difference in the pads themselves but would like to know if there would be an issue returning (for example) a non A/C dashpad core when purchasing an A/C one.

Thanks

I would suggest that you communicate with the intended vendor as to their policy. I would think they might differ some.

70vert

that's a good question. Certainly they all have the same overall dimensions and same mounting specs. I would think it would be the same regardless of 3-speaker or not, just based on how they look. Possibly the A/C vs non-A/C are the same also.
But I'm not an expert on it.

Spikedog08

I believe they are the same for both . .  :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Duodec

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on June 07, 2023, 06:57:06 PM

I would suggest that you communicate with the intended vendor as to their policy. I would think they might differ some.

Thanks, I did about a week ago but have not heard back so thought I'd ask around here.

I might have an option on a thrashed non A/C dashpad core.  My original A/C pad has some cracks and one moderate valley but from watching various repair job videos I would rather keep it if I could, and if an alternate core is both cheaper and acceptable.

anlauto

All the steel frames are the same. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Duodec

Thank you!  Still waiting to hear back from the vendor but that's a good sign.

Marty

Take all you can get when it comes to dash pads.

cuda hunter

I will negotiate a purchase of any tags that are available to make your core purchases worth while. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Duodec

Well my one core option fell through.  I did give up on the first vendor and contacted Dash Pad Pros ($1700!!!! and $400 core charge) and they said they accept any year or variant E-body dashpad as a core for any E body dash pad purchased as long as its in decent condition (core not pad).

Once again sticker shocking on how much things have gone up in the last 20 years; of course 20 years ago nobody did a quality reproduction/rebuild so you were stuck with Just Dashes recovers that never looked quite right.