Main Menu

Car show disaster

Started by chargerdon, May 19, 2024, 05:36:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

In my experience, police typically won't get involved with auto accidents in parking lots. They are private property and some Offices won't write tickets for infractions on private property.

Also, older cars have fewer vin numbers than new cars and aren't able to be tracked in popular applications for service and repairs. Thus, no record of a body shop visit will ever be traceable to your car.

Unfortunately, the church is going to get hit with liability on this. It was their vehicle on their property and they authorized the driver to use it. Of course, they could purse restitution from the driver, but they may or may not and/or he may refuse.

They may not kill the car show in the near future, but they may not allow use of their carts any more.

chargerdon

So far i have filed a claim to the "show" insurance held by the auto club.   However they have yet to contact me other than acknowledging the claim.   The agency says they dont know what is going to happen next as they have never had a claim filed against them. 

Meanwhile question for all you body shop guys.   Classic Industries sales a new Dodge Challenger 72-74 fender for $399 made by AMD supposedly in OEM gauge steel complete with the headlight brackets, etc.  Question that i have...New or a used one ?  AMD says its 20 gauge and original was 18 to 19.   Suggestions and recognize i have not yet come across a good used one, and i dont know if mine is fixable or not. 

7212Mopar

Sorry this happened. Glad the damage is localized to the fender. I would think buying AMD replacement saves labor cost trying to repair the old or repair prep a used fender. New side marker lens and salvage hardware, wheel well trim. A body shop should be able to use fiberglass to repair the header panel which is fiberglass. Paint and paint matching, the fender stripe to complete the repair. If the rest of the existing fender is good shape, someone might be able to use parts off it to make repair of theirs.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

tparker

I would try to find an original fender. AMD is supposed to be pretty good but there could still be differences. I have purchased several pieces of sheet metal and have  had mixed results. Not sure which were AMD and  which were not. From what I understand, Many pieces need to be altered  to fix correctly. I would think this wouldn't apply to the fender,  but I  would probably  worry more about the  proper fidelity in the creases. My lower rear  quarter wasn't as good as  the original. Maybe someone with a fender from them can comment.

My replacement AMD roof was fine, but I have  vinyl top over it and the old one was rotted away. It fit perfect.  metal thickness for all my sheet metal  seemed fine.

Cuda Cody

Oh man, that sucks big time!  :unbelievable:

chargerdon

Quote from: tparker on May 22, 2024, 04:13:31 PMI would try to find an original fender. AMD is supposed to be pretty good but there could still be differences. I have purchased several pieces of sheet metal and have  had mixed results. Not sure which were AMD and  which were not. From what I understand, Many pieces need to be altered  to fix correctly. I would think this wouldn't apply to the fender,  but I  would probably  worry more about the  proper fidelity in the creases. My lower rear  quarter wasn't as good as  the original. Maybe someone with a fender from them can comment.

My replacement AMD roof was fine, but I have  vinyl top over it and the old one was rotted away. It fit perfect.  metal thickness for all my sheet metal  seemed fine.

It also will need probably a new valance and turn signal/parking light lens, and then lastly the bumper was pushed about 1/2 to passenger side..probably the bumper supports need straightening.   

Still waiting for the insurance company to contact me.  I think ill take it to a classic car collision center to get an estimate while waiting.   

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: chargerdon on May 23, 2024, 04:53:17 AM
Quote from: tparker on May 22, 2024, 04:13:31 PMI would try to find an original fender. AMD is supposed to be pretty good but there could still be differences. I have purchased several pieces of sheet metal and have  had mixed results. Not sure which were AMD and  which were not. From what I understand, Many pieces need to be altered  to fix correctly. I would think this wouldn't apply to the fender,  but I  would probably  worry more about the  proper fidelity in the creases. My lower rear  quarter wasn't as good as  the original. Maybe someone with a fender from them can comment.

It also will need probably a new valance and turn signal/parking light lens, and then lastly the bumper was pushed about 1/2 to passenger side..probably the bumper supports need straightening. 

Still waiting for the insurance company to contact me.  I think ill take it to a classic car collision center to get an estimate while waiting.

My experience with AMD on a '70 Cuda - fit was pretty damn good, but the captured nuts for the header panel were covered by the fender sheet metal where it folded over on one side, and their 20 gauge feels thin to me.  I mocked up both AMD front fenders and the fitment was decent, but put a small crease in one leaning against it mounting the hood so I hunted down some clean originals.  Took me a while to find anything decent, but the difference was noticeable to me. 

As for insurance, who is liable and how this all works out it is pretty straightforward (my wife works in commercial insurance).  My advice is DO NOT compromise on telling the exact truth as it happened.  Also, file the report - the age of the car no one is going to expect it to be accident free, and I do not think that will affect the value at all, especially if you photo document the damage and repairs.  The church, if they were smart, would have had the car club sign a waiver that the car club is liable for any damage resulting from the show, including the use of church property / equipment etc, such as the golf cart.  The driver should not be personally liable (even though it was his mistake) - the car club should be insured against such things if they are the ones borrowing the cart and the driver is acting on their behalf.  If the church did not get a waiver, then they could be liable in conjunction with the car club, but if the car club has insurance they will most likely settle as it is more cost effective than trying to avoid the liability in court.  Worst case, you file a claim with your insurance, provide the police report and all info for the other parties and your insurance will pay for repairs and go after the other parties for the money, you should not be affect in your premium.  One thing to keep in mind is the insurance company does not have to pay for original or OEM parts, so they most likely will use the AMD pricing. :alan2cents:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

chargerdon

Agree with most..   Claim filed against the clubs insurance, but, haven't heard anything yet.   While waiting went to a Collision center that does do classic cars.  Nice gent there looked at it.  He felt that replacing the valance was a no brainer and that it would be best to try and straighten the original fender.  Its stronger than an AMD replacement and that it would make the painting easier..i.e. that he wouldn't have to go into the hood and adjacent door for blending..just the fender itself.   He cautioned that a replacement at $399+150 shipping or $550 would actually be less than straightening the fender as he felt it would take more hours at $120 hr to do it. 

He said that yes he could fix the header panel but that if i could find a good used one to pay up to $1000 for it and id be better off. (going to a salvage yard for mopars saturday...proprietor says he is pretty sure he has a challenger on the lot with a good header panel).   He also noticed that the spacing between the fender and door is way closer than the other side, so it probably shifted as well..  He is going to be sending me an estimate hopefully today and said that the actual cost would likely be more than the estimate with hidden problems. Sigh...this is going to take a while..as he said he is backed up at least two months.   

chargerdon

update...first no word yet from insurance company...tried calling but their off until next tuesday after the holidays

Second, got first estimate.  Local collision shop that does classics gave me an estimate of $9,958.  That includes 26 hours to repair the existing fender and 12 hours to repair the fiberglass header panel plus new valance.  Also, 20 hours to prep and do the painting.   They charge $100 hour.  Well, at least i now have some idea.   

Third, was hoping to find a good fender and header at the Billy West Racing shop in Selma, NC about an hours drive from me.  Wow..he has a 60's and 70's mopar graveyard all around his shop.   Several Challengers but no headers at all...all had their front ends removed except for one and its header is in worse shape than mine.  Several fenders but all badly rusted except for one..it has lower behind wheel rust but the headlight to mid look good with some rust but no holes...might be able to use that half of it.   Reasonable price of $225...   Ill mention it to the collision shop and see if they feel its easier to weld half in or to straighten mine.   

I was hoping to find a really good fender and header and then i would do the repair myself and then just have an expert paint them.   But, talking with the body shop guy he said that blending in the paint of replacement parts would require them blending into the nearby panels, but if he just straightens the fender and header panel then the blending could end on the fender itself. 

Now i have to wait on the insurance company.  What a drag. 

Brice Road

I am very sorry to hear about your accident. That really sucks. That is everyones worst nightmare when it comes to their car.

About 20 something years ago my brother and I parted out a 1974 Challenger. Recently my brother had to move so he gave me the last few parts which I recently sold cheaply because I don't have the room to store a lot of parts. All that is left is a passenger door and two front bumper brackets. I was going to throw the brackets away but if you want them you can have them for free plus the shipping or if you are going to attend Carlisle I will bring them with me and give them to you there. The brackets do have surface rust but I think if they got blasted and painted they would be fine. If you are interested I could email you pictures.

Phil

torredcuda

I agree with the shop it would be nicer to not have to go into the door or hood with a blend but I would think they would have to go into the hood either way as the fender is bent along the edge. For 26 and 12 hours labor I would keep searching for a good used fender and the header panel shouldn`t be too hard to find as I have seen good ones for sale locally for $300 or less.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I'm sure you can find a fender on short order. 
I am constantly looking for a nice set of 70's and always come up with 2-4's.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

chargerdon

Cuda Hunter.   Any suggestions on where to find an original fender and header panel.   Especially the header panel?   So far both searches on EBAY and work of mouth have come up empty.   I did find a solid fender locally here in NC but, it has rusted section next to door down low.   I dont want one that needs repair, as if i did i would just have mine repaired.