Main Menu

Door panels question.

Started by Roadman, August 09, 2017, 12:58:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

We have 2 sets of rear panels, one without ashtray cutouts, one with. Were  the ashtrays 71 only, or were they used on 70 S/E cars ?    :rebelflag"

Cuda Cody

I think it was an SE thing, right?

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 09, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
I think it was an SE thing, right?

:notsure:

Roadman

70/6chall

On the 1970 Challengers, the side rear ash trays(and carpeted lower door panes/ reflector) were part of the leather and cloth interior options. Im thinking here that if the panel was meant for an SE interior it will have areas in the plastic on back side indicated for an SE interior to be cut out for the ash trays. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in '71 interiors, but am not sure here. The rear of the '71 console did have an ash tray mounted in it. In my SE interior I have the carpeted lower door panels w/ door reflectors and side rear ash trays.       Thanks,   Al

anlauto

I restored four 1970 Challenger R/T's in the last year or so....All of them had factory rear ashtrays.... :dunno: None of them were SE's HOWEVER two had leather interior, one had houndstooth and the other was a convertible ?

I don't recall if they were on the build sheets, but all the cars had their original interior panels so I was just going by that.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Roadman

@anlauto    and  @70/6chall thanks guys. Wanted to make sure the guy getting the RT/SE gets the right panels.  Smoking in the rear.   :haha:    :rofl:   

EB3-GranCoupe

I have had two Gran Coupes, and both had the ashtray in the rear panels.

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on August 09, 2017, 03:03:46 PM
I restored four 1970 Challenger R/T's in the last year or so....All of them had factory rear ashtrays.... :dunno: None of them were SE's HOWEVER two had leather interior, one had houndstooth and the other was a convertible ?

I don't recall if they were on the build sheets, but all the cars had their original interior panels so I was just going by that.

Did the 2 leather and or cloth insert cars have carpet on bottom of door panels?

I think the upgraded interior drove the ash tray.

What interior was in the Conv?

Did literature ir buyer guide say conv got standard rear ash tray? They did in A-body conv. I think B-body too.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

blown motor

Quote from: Roadman on August 09, 2017, 03:25:13 PM
      @anlauto    and  @70/6chall thanks guys. Wanted to make sure the guy getting the RT/SE gets the right panels.  Smoking in the rear.   :haha:    :rofl:   

Mark, did you sell that car?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: autoxcuda on August 12, 2017, 11:19:43 AM

Did the 2 leather and or cloth insert cars have carpet on bottom of door panels?

Did literature ir buyer guide say conv got standard rear ash tray? They did in A-body conv. I think B-body too.

YES...both the leather and cloth interior cars have the carpet at the bottom of the doors, again NON-SE cars.
The convertible has the standard vinyl seats.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

MY MISTAKE.... :pullinghair:

Just checked the original convertible rear panels and they DO NOT have factory ashtrays.... :sorry:

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on August 12, 2017, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on August 12, 2017, 11:19:43 AM

YES...both the leather and cloth interior cars have the carpet at the bottom of the doors, again NON-SE cars.
The convertible has the standard vinyl seats.

Ok.

The premium seats/interior gave you the rear ash trays.

Didn't all 70 S/E's come std with leather or cloth premium seats?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...