Main Menu

1970 Challenger Tire Jack Question

Started by kent_goins, September 02, 2018, 01:03:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

The picture shows the J hook as part of jack? Isn't it separate and stowed under the spare?

Ben

headejm

Yes, you remove the jack hook for storage.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Floyd on July 31, 2019, 02:25:08 PM
black base and mechanism, grey hook, and T-style post.
This is the same as my 70 Barracuda. I'll be repainting it this way.

Rather than start another thread, how do you remove the mechanism from the "T" shaft?

750-h2

Pretty sure it will not come off without grinding the raised tab at the end of the shaft. You don't need to completely grind it off.

Jay Bee

Thanks, I was hoping there was another way other than grinding the stops off.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Jay Bee on December 08, 2019, 01:39:27 PM
Quote from: Floyd on July 31, 2019, 02:25:08 PM
black base and mechanism, grey hook, and T-style post.
This is the same as my 70 Barracuda. I'll be repainting it this way.

Rather than start another thread, how do you remove the mechanism from the "T" shaft?

Don't take it off, raise the mechanism and do the shaft 1/2 or more at a time.  Paint the mechanism first.

Jay Bee

Thanks Mike, I guess I'll follow your recommendation.

anlauto

John here are the colours for a 1970 Cuda jack.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SVW

Hi!
New member from cold Finland here! I have a Challenger RT/SE 440-6, and I am looking for a tire jack (and space saver as well). I've been told that the B-Body Mopars from 70-71 had the T style shaft, that would be Charger, Belvidere, Satellite etc...., and the E body, the Challenger and the Barracuda and Cuda in 70/71 had the tube style jack shaft.
Looking at this thread, it may not be the case? Thanks for your comments!
br Stefan

anlauto

No Stefan it's more of a year thing then a body style. Most 70 E Bodies got the T jack while 71+ got the tube.

TONY'S PARTS sells a nice reproduction jack for your car :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

:iagree: And  :welcome: www.tonysparts.com He is a member here, @TONY . he is a great person to deal with.  :handshake:

Burdar

QuoteDon't take it off, raise the mechanism and do the shaft 1/2 or more at a time.  Paint the mechanism first.

This is how I would restore the T style jack.  I wasn't able to do that with my tube style because the mast gets gold zinc plated.  Instead of grinding off the tab at the end, I was able to spread the mechanism apart enough to slide it off the end.