Main Menu

Rally Clock usual culprits

Started by jlemler, April 27, 2018, 05:41:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

I have a 1970 Cuda rally dash.  The clock isn't working.  I was wondering what are the usual culprits of this malfunction?  It has power but no go.  Are there somethings I can try before taking it out and sending for repair?

Thanks, Jeff

82firebird

I can't answer your question but what I can tell you is when I had my gauges restored, they told me the quartz conversion was the way to go. Most have done this and haven't looked back. If I recall, you can source a kit for around $100 and be done with it.

Chryco Psycho

Take it apart & clean & lubricate it the contacts point sneed to be cleaned also

cudaragtop

Just another clock option.
I have an OER clock that keeps good time and retains the tic, tic Quartz second hand movement.

Classic Industries OER 70-71 E-Body Rallye Clock
Use coupon code SFV18 through Midnight PST 4/29
$389.99 -$97.50 = $292.49

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: This reminds me of when I owned the pink Challenger in the 80's. One day the clock quit, after much research I found a place that could fix it. I called them and shockingly he knew that it was going to cost exactly $50 to repair it. I thought that a bit strange but pulled it out, sent it away and got it back a month later. I installed it and it worked, I bet they cleaned the contacts, lubed it and sent it back just as CP says to do.
Sheldon

lulurocks(Ken)

dodj

Replace the guts with a 3035 kit. The original internals are not worth prolonging in my opinion.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jay Bee

Also, the tabs that need to be bent back can only be done a few times before breaking off. I've done 3 of those "3035" conversions and as a precaution always cut extra tabs on the cover just in case. If you're going to open it up, youi might as well do as suggested and convert it (if, as said, 100% oem isn't important).

Timbbuc2

Quote from: jlemler on April 27, 2018, 05:41:26 AM
I have a 1970 Cuda rally dash.  The clock isn't working.  I was wondering what are the usual culprits of this malfunction?  It has power but no go.  Are there somethings I can try before taking it out and sending for repair?

Thanks, Jeff
Look on youtube, GYC has a video of repairing a E-body clock and how to take it apart.
Get in, I'll drive

Solarguy

Quote from: cudaragtop on April 27, 2018, 07:27:29 AM
Just another clock option.
I have an OER clock that keeps good time and retains the tic, tic Quartz second hand movement.

Do you know if it's a quartz movement or a mechanical movement.  I've never seen a quartz tic off each second like the originals did only seen them make a continuous sweeping movement around the dial. 

RUNCHARGER

I have to say those stock clocks are of excellent size. I have made quite a few 0-60 runs etc. viewing the second hand for a rough idea. It was better than nothing for practicing launch techniques on the street.
Sheldon