Main Menu

4 speed console template

Started by Shoooter, August 24, 2019, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Does anyone have the template to convert the auto console to a manual? I see they are onsale on Ebay but dont want to wait that long. What does everyone use to cut them?

70 Challenger Lover

I have one. Are you looking for specific measurements or just need a picture of the contour?

Shoooter

Both if possible.  Main thing is how did you cut it?

70 Challenger Lover

I didn't actually cut mine. I've been fortunate enough to come across actual originals. I've I were going to attempt it, I think I might try a high speed angle sander with 120 grit disc and work it carefully. I've done that with other plastic, wood, soft stuff with fairly good results. The photo shows a 36 grit disc but you get the idea. If your console was made of sheet metal, this sander would have the job done in ten minutes or less. I'd take the same ten minutes and be very gentle.

70 Challenger Lover

Here's a few close ups. Hope it helps.

B5fourspeed

Shoooter

I would be worried a angle grinder would break the plastic. Did you use a dremel with a cutting bit or a small disk? I'm alittle worried as its a original console so it might be brittle.

gzig5

A cutting disk is more likely to melt the plastic than break it in my opinion, especially if it is used too aggressively. I thought about the pnuematic reciprocating saw with a fine blade but I think that could be hard on the brittle plastic.  When I do mine, I'll use a 3" thin cutoff wheel for the long cuts and various Dremel bits for the curves and such.  A nice slow, light approach should avoid any issues.  Proper support of the console while cutting should help too.

B5fourspeed

I used the cutting disk.You will go thru a few disc because they will break easy.Just take your time.The plastic is harder than the disk and I did not damage the plastic at all.

Shoooter

B5fourspeed