Main Menu

Heater box rebuild questions

Started by Barraguy, July 09, 2019, 08:41:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Barraguy

So i'm rebuilding the heater box on my 70 'Barra, and i'm now at the main heat/cool door after done the fresh air vent door and the floor vent door. I've done the back side of the main door but not sure how to proceed with the inner side. I'm looking for some advice. Should i spray the adhesive on the door, wait for it to get tacky then attach it to the pivot bar with the clamp, or should i attach it, then tape everything up and spray adhesive on it?  FYI I do also spray the foam as well just so no one mentions that i should be doing that too.
   Also, what is the other door called, and how do you remove it? I would like to clean it up, and it looks like it has never had foam on it. 
   I'm using the DMT rebuild kit for a A/C box.  Does anyone know what year box they picture in the instructions? Guess I should call and ask as i see a difference in my box from the one they use.

Mopar5

The one blend door does not get foam . I soaked that in evaporust and painted it. I cant remember how exactly that door comes out but I know it was easy. You definitely should be spraying the door and foam with adhesive. I am going to try to post some pics for you

Mopar5

Mopar5

So the door is foamed first then you clamp over it make sure it moves freely after you install it. Also I would suggest if this is an AC car that you make extra sure the bottom is sealed very well with strip caulk I added even more. The housing holds the condensate from the AC evaporator. I even pressure tested my new evaporator and heater core before installing just to be safe.After it was all put together I did turn it upright and added some water to the case to ensure it didn't leak at the bottom . Its better than having to remove the whole thing again because the AC is leaking water on the carpet.

Barraguy

OK so foam it first, then clamp it on. There was no foam left at all when I took it apart and it looked like there was tape residue over the clamp and pivot bar.
   Thanks

Mopar5

The primary objective is not so much the face of the doors. But to ensure the edges of the doors are sealing against the openings . They really are not perfect seals. The object is to get most of the air to go through the heater or AC cores instead of being able to go around them. I think the tape residue is from the fact at the factory instead of glue on they were stick on self adhesive type.

Barraguy

Evap and heater core have been tested already

Barraguy

Quote from: Mopar5 on July 09, 2019, 09:10:29 AM
The one blend door does not get foam . I soaked that in evaporust and painted it. I cant remember how exactly that door comes out but I know it was easy. You definitely should be spraying the door and foam with adhesive. I am going to try to post some pics for you
It looks like the center rod that the door pivots on needs to be tapped out with a center punch. I'm hoping its not frozen to the door. What does that door do?

Mopar5

No center punch is needed be real gentle on that case they are made of primitive plastic reinforced with sisal fiber don't want to crack anything I believe the center door is defrost

Mopar5

Mine is wrapped in plastic right now so I can't get to it to look can you post a pic to refresh my memory I know all those doors come out Very easily so if your running into trouble look at it again

Mopar5

Looked at some of my old pics that unit comes out with a seperate housing it unscrews

Mopar5

That pivot shaft is not meant to come off

Barraguy

Got the door off, cleaned up and reinstalled. plastic piece attached to main heater box.

Finishing up on this part of the box and i have another question. In the Detroit muscle Technologies kit you get 2 of part number 2  "Charcoal foam strips that seal where inner heat/cool door (#03 closes on the box
    Its obvious  to me that one strip goes where i and holding it by in the picture, but where does the 2nd one go? Anyone......

Mopar5

Uuhg ,I cant remember wish mine wasnt wrapped in plastic right now so I could look. Detroit muscle has a good write up on their site check it out.