Main Menu

70 cuda firewall insulation installation

Started by drew43a, January 11, 2023, 04:15:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

does anyone know the trick to putting the Fiberglass insulation on the firewall with the plastic push in pins?

anlauto

Trick ? Just usually push the pins in....I usually tap with a hammer, you can lube them up a bit, or use a drill to clean out the holes first if they are too much of a PITA  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

the first time i tried tapping with a rubber mallet it folded over.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Quote from: drew43a on January 11, 2023, 04:15:50 PM
does anyone know the trick to putting the Fiberglass insulation on the firewall with the plastic push in pins?

No tricks to this. Just patience and "feeling" the pin going into the hole before tapping. I don't think you need to use a hammer. Just wiggle it around before pressing firmly. As  Alan mentioned, make sure the hole is clean and maybe try dry fitting the pin without the insulation first.  :cheers:

drew43a

well what i learned is that the plastic pin has to go in completely straight or it will bend and not want to go in. I carved out the cardboard hole a little bit in the direction it needed to go and sure enough the pin went in. :ohyeah:

FE5CUDA

Take a phillips screw driver just small enough to fit thru the whole in the back of the nail, use a socket for a shim so not to go thru the nail when tapping the end of the screw driver which keeps the plastic nail from bending.  All that extra paint in the whole is your issue.