Main Menu

71 Challenger trunk mat

Started by antonellomopar, November 10, 2021, 02:36:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

antonellomopar

I have ordered ECS trunk mat for my 70 Hemicuda, and was very satisfied....
Went to order a trunk mat for my 71 Challenger some months ago, and it was out of stock. It is still out of stock. WHat shall I do? Anybody has some suggestion about other suppliers that offer a correct mat? Thank you

Floyd

ECS is going to be the best option.  I think the other repros available aren't nearly as good.  That said, the others aren't too much $$ so you could get one of those until the ECS ones come back on line.  I sold my older (used) repros pretty easily once I upgraded to ECS.

anlauto

Maybe reach out to member @76orangewagon  :twothumbsup: Ross came up with the material to make is own correct appearing 1971 Cuda mat..maybe he could point you in the right direction :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

Mike Ross @ B/E & A Restoration Parts Bought all the remaining ECS trunk Mats from them at Carlisle this year since they had no date for further production. In January of 1971 Mopar switched to a foam backed Black and Gray slightly textured material instead of the Rubber... so If your 1971 was built after that date the Rubber ECS mat is not correct for your car. Yes, they fit better than the other ones on the market but are only truly correct for 1970 to mid 1971 model cars. Now for 90.0% people on here they could care less what's really correct..of  those, probably only 25-30% are willing to pay $150  for a trunk mat. I bought every ECS product for my car that I could because they are the most accurate parts on the market but aren't always correct for every car.
  That being said I was able to find a very limited quantity of material that is as close to original as there is but had to send to to another company to have the high density foam applied and then make my own stencil with date and part number for my specific application and then used my ECS mat as a template to cut the new mat I only know of two people who have spent the time and Money (which was a lot more than the ECS mat and took me over two and a half months) to go this route and since the OP is from Italy that will be a lot more difficult and time consuming. I know that someone is actually considering making these for the mid 71-74 models but is several months or years away, if they do it at all. Good Luck.... maybe contact Mike and see if he will part with one, I believe he bought 3 cuda and 2 challenger mats for his customers.

antonellomopar

Hello
thank you for your very informative and accurate explanation. My car has a 303 build date, so I guess the ECS mat is wrong. I would spend that kind of money if I could find the correct mat...
From Italy, it would be impossible to reproduce the correct mat...
What would you suggest to do? WHat is the "less wrong" thing to purchase? Thank you

RUNCHARGER

Call Mike at B/E&A and see what he recommends. He'll give you the straight goods on the best thing to do and what's available.
Sheldon

76orangewagon

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 13, 2021, 09:28:06 AM
Call Mike at B/E&A and see what he recommends. He'll give you the straight goods on the best thing to do and what's available.

I reached out to Mike yesterday to see if he had any ECS mats left for the OP and he doesn't have any...

antonellomopar

Thank you ...really appreciate your effort. I have bought a 65$ mat on ebay from musclemaniac5 ...hoping that a correct reproduction will be available in the future. It is the Herringbone matherial...

JH27N0B

Damn I didn't realize ECS doesn't have their mats anymore.  Is it a material shortage situation and they'll make up more in the near future when that situation is resolved, or they didn't sell very well and therefore they decided it's not profitable to make more?
I bought one when they first came out, but figured I might buy one or two more for my other Challengers someday.  :(

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 14, 2021, 12:56:57 PM
Damn I didn't realize ECS doesn't have their mats anymore.  Is it a material shortage situation and they'll make up more in the near future when that situation is resolved, or they didn't sell very well and therefore they decided it's not profitable to make more?
I bought one when they first came out, but figured I might buy one or two more for my other Challengers someday.  :(

They are still on their website so hopefully they will do another run :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

I talked to Tom at ECS at MCACN about the E body trunk mats.  The reason the trunk mats aren't available is that when they went to order more material to run more mats, the supplier basically blew them off.
So unless they can get the material supplier to sell them more material, or find another supplier, they can't make any more mats.  :headbang:

antonellomopar

malem2us

Gentleman, how does this vinyl stack up to a mid year 71 Challenger  Deputy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331418640823

It took forever to log in, so I forgot the differences, but is this the corrrct pattern and I only have to add a foam backing to simulate OEM ?

anlauto

Adding foam maybe closer to correct for 1971, but it's only going to end up holding moisture....and no one would ever know it's there unless you show it off ? :dunno:

malem2us

Well if that pattern is a match, I can buy and apply my own foam backing, I'm not afraid of moisture this Deputy trunk is fully vented at the bottom and the deck lid seals perfectly and water tight, so if the trunk ever gets wet, either my client drove it into a lake or left the trunk open during a rain storm 🤪🤪