Main Menu

'71 Cuda Bucket Seats

Started by Claudia, September 12, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Not uncommon to find broken ones, I've welded up a couple as well. There is a lot of leverage on the tall backs if a big guy was in there. I'd just be worried it was welded straight and still the correct length.
Sheldon

B5fourspeed

My seat frame upper half was welded and repaired like yours.Probably caused by some big Bubba getting in and out like Runcharger stated.I do not think the repair will alter the seat.I would take measurements from the other side and compare.I had  to clean up the repair on mine because I think Stevie Wonder welded it.

Claudia

Okay . . . I need some more :help:!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong . . . I am fairly confident that I need '70 or '71 (only) E-body front bucket seat backs which will contain the springs to support my new '71 seat foam as my current seat back frames do not have any support springs.  With that being said, the seats that came with my car have a bracket welded to one side of the seat back frame making it a LH or RH seat back.  Bracket is for the push button that releases the seat back from the seat bottom.  My issue is that all of the '70 - '71 seat back frames that I am finding (with the support springs) seem to not have this bracket for the push button???  Any help is appreciated!

anlauto

That button you have is for a later production 1971 into 1972 model year seat. 1970 and early 71's were different  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Claudia

@anlauto if I can find a good used set of '70 - '71 seat frames, how does the seat back release work on those?

Or, could I cut the bracket off of my frames and weld it to the set that I find to use the push button?

I am also confused why so many websites list the '70 - '74 e-body seat frames as one part number???  :thinking:

anlauto

The push button is part of the metal seat hinge cover. The plastic seat backs are different as well.
I'm not sure about switching the bracket, you would have to do some close inspection.
Not all web sites are correct. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Claudia

Okay, so my problem is this . . .

I have late year '71 - '72 seat frames which do not have support springs . . .
I have new '71 seat foam which will not fit my seat frames because they do not have any support springs . . .
I have new '71 seat covers which I assume will also not fit for the same reason listed above . . .
I have new '71 seat backs which are one solid plastic piece with the built in hinge cover and accommodate the same     style push button release as my current seat frames . . .

I am not sure how to go about fixing this . . .  :pullinghair:

anlauto

Buy a set of 71 seats with the small chrome button as cores. Maybe 72's would work, but I'm not sure about the springs.
Your best bet is to look for the same seats you're building.

Claudia

Do you have any pictures of the '71 seats with the small chrome buttons . . . I am not sure how they differ from what I have if at all.  I had assumed that I was buying all '71 stuff . . . my bad for assuming . . . :stop:

anlauto

Claudia

Okay, so maybe was incorrect in my thinking . . . '71 did not have metal seat hing covers at all . . . they were all part of the molded plastic seat back?

Also, what does the inside of those '71 seats look like in the push button release areas as the seat frames that I am finding for sale do not have the bracket welded to the frame for the push button like my current frames do?  :headbang:

anlauto

NO....if you read what I posted....in the 1971 Model year is when they changed to chrome buttons. Here's 71's with metal hinge covers leather and standard

Claudia

Sorry, I am sure that I am making this way more confusing than it needs to be  :bricks: . . . so, in '71 they had both metal hinge covers and plastic molded hinge cover types.  So, my next question would be what is the difference in the actual seat frames between those two different style hinges?  I only have my current seat frames to reference which I now think are '73 - '74's?  :dunno:

@anlauto you had mentioned earlier that you thought my seat button was a late '71 into '72 year seat . . . my question would be that my seat backs do not have any support springs in them so they did make some '71's without seat back springs?

anlauto

I doubt they made 71 seats with out springs in them, but I don't know for sure, you would have to ask someone who knows more then I about seats...and I'm sure there's a lot of people out there...

Claudia

:unbelievable: I thought you knew just about everything!  :worship:

I know '70 had a specific (longer) release button . . . so, I wonder if the push buttons that I have are the only style push button releases from '71 - '74?  :thinking: