Main Menu

'71 Cuda Bucket Seats

Started by Claudia, September 12, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Claudia

Okay, can anyone help me properly identify these seats???

Shane Kelley

From what I can see they look like maybe 70 Challenger seats. Need a pic of the fronts so I can see the pattern. That push button it throwing me off though.

Claudia

@Shane Kelley PM sent . . . I keep getting the following message when trying to add pictures of the fronts: "The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

anlauto

They look like 70 Challenger as well, but those seats, don't use those buttons, they are the metal hinge cover seats
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

:iagree: those appear to be '70 Challenger seats, missing the potmetal hinge covers/buttons

AFAIK the black buttons are '73-'74 b-body

Claudia

@anlauto do you know if you could do the following . . .

I could purchase those '70 Challenger seat frames (that are made for the metal hinge covers) . . .
Strip everything off of the seat frames completely . . .
Install my '71 seat foam and seat covers . . .
Use my '71 style molded plastic seat backs (with integrated hinge covers and push button releases) . . .

I am just trying to come up with a viable solution and want to make sure that it can all be bolted together and work properly before I purchase them.  Meaning I don't want to start putting everything together and realize that I overlooked something.

6bblgt

I went thru this a couple years ago on a '72 RR that had early '71 RR seats in it (I can't find the pics)

the '70/early-'71 metal seat back frames will not accept the late-'71/'72 style release button & mechanism

Claudia

Are you talking about the metal seat back frame or are you talking about the plastic seat back?

I am wanting to use the metal seat frames only (not the plastic backs).

I have new '71 molded plastic backs that have the opening for the smaller push button releases (I also have the latch assemblies and the associated hardware).  I am just trying to confirm if I can bolt the later latches to the earlier frames.

anlauto

Well those 70 seats don't have the little metal boxes welded on the sides to retain the buttons.
I don't know if you can just stick those on, I've never dealt with making something with a bunch of Hodge-podge parts before.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RJChallenger

You can use the seat frame, but you must add that cage drill new holes to mount, secure the hinge cover to seat frame. I just did the opposite . I removed that cage , inlarged the hole fore seat release button and drilled new holes to secure hinge cover.  You can make it work if you really want those seats