Main Menu

A couple sun visor questions

Started by blown motor, March 01, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

1) What is the correct paint to use on the sun visor mounting bracket? I have some silver high temp caliper paint. Is that silver close enough?

2) How do I clean up the discolouration in the decal on the back of the visor? Is there replacement decals available?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Were they plated or painted originally?  :notsure:  I'm sure any close silver will look great.

What decal are you talking about for the back of the visor?

Quote from: blown motor on March 01, 2017, 02:54:57 PM
1) What is the correct paint to use on the sun visor mounting bracket? I have some silver high temp caliper paint. Is that silver close enough?

2) How do I clean up the discolouration in the decal on the back of the visor? Is there replacement decals available?

blown motor

They were painted. I put up a pic of the decal.

screamindriver

This appears to be the same decal....http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/md4195.html   EDIT: I have a hard time reading your decal{it's not the pic it's probably my eyes} But even though the number is the same the wording is not the same...I wonder how many variations of that decal there were ???

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Looks like that's the decal.  I've never seen that before.  Must be a later year thing.  :notsure:

What year are you using it on?

blown motor

My car is a 74. The decal that screamindriver posted has the same number in the bottom right corner but some of the wording is different. It does make you wonder how many different versions there were as he said.

Burdar

I don't remember my 73 having a sticker.  Even if it does, yours is going to be 74 specific.  74 is the only year where the factory used a seat belt interlock system in order to start the engine.  I can see that your sticker has engine starting instructions relating to that system.

I thought my 73 sun visor hardware was kind of a satin nickel plating but I don't remember for sure.  Just some soapy water and an old toothbrush is all it took to clean mine up.  Maybe research what people use to restore old books.  If they use some type of solvent, it has to be safe for the paper and the ink.  :dunno:

blown motor

The sticker does give starting instuctions. A PO disengaged the system which is fine with me.

jimynick

So why replace the sticker then Murray? Mine was also killed by a PO and I left it just like that. I can't imagine hooking up the seat belt the 20 times in the last month that we've run that thing in and out! Just a PITA as I see it, but maybe you're going concours on us, eh? LOL  :Stirring:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

I need every little bit of perfection to compete with your car by the time you get it done. Or I'll just beat you on the street.  :pokeeye:

jimynick

Ooh, touche'! Mine's a long ways from perfection my friend, but that sounded like a challenge, there. Hmmm, maybe come the good weather, we'll have to see about that, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"