Main Menu

AAR Cuda bucket seat inserts dyed black over red?

Started by 6Pack70, December 15, 2019, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6Pack70

Check this out... I start the process of scrubbing my original upholstery seats from my 402 SPD AAR Cuda and I notice RED inserts in the bottom buns of the front buckets.  I thought it was sun fade or something at first glance.  Upon much closer and careful inspection, these inserts are Red vinyl that was dyed black !  Look very closely at my pictures from underneath... you can see it at the sewn seams.  They must have ran out of black vinyl insert material for a period of time because my seat bottoms show assembly date tags that are 7 days apart.  Must have had a roll of red vinyl that was dyed black and that's what got used.  Anyone else see this on their cars?

6Pack70

Date tags.  3 16 70 is the driver's seat and 3 9 70 is the passengers side.   It would jave looked incredible if they just installed red inserts on black bucket seats.... especially on black, white or red AARs.

cuda dad

Never saw that before.  My AAR is also 402 SPD but I never had the seats out.  That's kind of crazy for that to happen.

6Pack70

It would be cool to know if a bunch of them were built using this modified insert material.  Had to be going on for at least one week. Maybe you can see your steel assembly date tags under your buckets? I'm sure that won't really be easy with the seats still installed.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

Although I've seen this once before, take a look at the number of pleats on the seat bottoms.  6 on the driver's side and the normal 7 on the passengers side.  Really adds to the fact that these cars were made by humans unlike many cars today.

6bblgt

I'm not convinced that they have not been in an upholstery shop somewhere in the last ~50 years  :dunno:

I had this seat fixed ~20 years ago  :takealook: bet you couldn't tell today & it's now "all original", too

are you planning on taking them apart?  it would be interesting to know what you find

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6Pack70

Well, I can't  be 100% certain of anything when it comes to Mopars.  You would think there would be signs of disturbing the burlap and its on both front seat bottoms.  Strange.   The part that's making me think someone did this later on is the date tags.  I thought about it last night and 7 days of using re-dyed material is an aweful long time.  Other people would have seen this too.

anlauto

The AAR I'm currently restoring had one A pillar trim that was originally white and sprayed black, I never asked the original owner about it, but I assume he never swapped it out... :dunno:

6Pack70

This AAR has the same 402 SPD as mine.  Survivor car pics borrowed from Transamcuda.com.   It looks to me like the drivers seat insert is showing some red wearing through.  I could be wrong.... but would love to know the truth.

anlauto

You have a curious question for sure :thinking:  I'm surprised that your covers would look so good after 49 years ? :huh:

6Pack70

Here's the Mannix 70 Cuda convertible survivor. SBD is B10 if I remember right.  A bit earlier than mine.... but look closely at the passengers bucket seat bottom. 
My interior looks so good because the car sat inside for 25 years before I bought it and is only showing 39,000 miles on the odometer.   I personally have never encountered a Trans Am car with 3 carbs, a 4 speed, 3:91s... and 139,000 miles on it lol.

6Pack70

Im not trying to argue one way or the other but I keep finding little things that might warrent a closer look at.  Trust me, I'm quite the skeptic when it comes to Mopars, but I have seen my share of things that make me believe they would improvise if necessary to keep things moving.   Who knows?  A whole roll could have been bought from a vendor the was color changed and no-one knew. Lol

anlauto

I agree those seats look like they could have been red too  :dunno: