Main Menu

ABS Dash Burnt Oarnge

Started by Mopar5, August 20, 2020, 09:25:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

You'll have to trim the foam/covering back to find the ABS to mount the light bar. The thing with the ABS is that every screw you put into it, is basically a one shot deal, like the speaker grill and lower bezels etc...get it right the first time and don't use power tools in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RacerX

Who is the best source now for quality dash pads?

Roseville did have some listed with metal cores but it was not clear who made them. 
They are not available anymore so that is moot anyway.

Saw the ABS core ones listed at Classic Industries and disregarded them based on
negative reports about the ABS units and the pictures posted in this thread seem to
prove those points...

anlauto

You're in Texas....call up Ultimate Rides in El Paso....they're the best available in my opinion......I haven't tried the new ABC Moparts ones though..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

YellowThumper

First off I have to disclaimer that it all my internal issues...
But the misspelling of orange is killing me.
I need help... :andyangel:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Mopar5

Quote from: anlauto on August 20, 2020, 06:39:42 PM
You'll have to trim the foam/covering back to find the ABS to mount the light bar. The thing with the ABS is that every screw you put into it, is basically a one shot deal, like the speaker grill and lower bezels etc...get it right the first time and don't use power tools in my opinion. :alan2cents:
On mine there is about 1inch of the spray foam under the lip then I assume at the very top is a thin layer of ABS seems like it would take a long screw to hit the ABS if the screw length is off it would go through the top. If I were to keep it I guess I could glue in some threaded anchors there just an idea

Mopar5

This original speaker grill sits way above the dash height.Do the original speaker grills have that much arch to them or is mine warped?

anlauto

You have to cut the posts off your original speaker cover to make it fit the reproduction pad, common issue :alan2cents:

Mopar5

:worship:
Quote from: anlauto on August 21, 2020, 04:14:47 PM
You have to cut the posts off your original speaker cover to make it fit the reproduction pad, common issue :alan2cents:
:worship:

Mopar5

I have decided this pad is going back. Got a quote from Just Dashes in Van Nuys. Right around $1700.00, 200.00 of that is for color :bigmoney: ughh.  Has anyone here ever use them?

Challenger in NC

I had them recover my original frame with a black pad around 2008 and it looked like a good job, although I still don't have the piece mounted. At that time, price was about $950 and included a center speaker grill.

JH27N0B

They did my burnt orange AC 3 speaker Challenger pad a couple years ago, I think then it was around $1550 total, which included 40 or 45 bucks to chrome the Challenger emblem.  I am happy with it, though the guy I had install it for me said he thought the quality of Just Dashes work had gone down, compared to ones done by them that he had installed 10 or 15 years ago. Just Dashes are always puffy looking.  But otherwise I think it looks good.
I used an Ultimate Rides pad on my T/A and it had some issues too.  Other than an original I don't think you'll ever get something that is great, however I would be interested in seeing how the new ABS ones are.

anlauto

Quote from: Mopar5 on August 25, 2020, 10:10:59 AM
I have decided this pad is going back. Got a quote from Just Dashes in Van Nuys. Right around $1700.00, 200.00 of that is for color :bigmoney: ughh.  Has anyone here ever use them?

The Just Dashes pad will look worse then what you have in my opinion. They are puffy and over inflated looking, nothing like original. The $200 for colour will be the same spray bomb paint job that's on the pad you have now. The only benefit will be that the Just dashes will have a steel core.
In my opinion you should have avoided the ABS core in the first place, and went with the Ultimate Rides pad or the new company APC Moparts pad steel core pads.

Again...just my opinion. ! :alan2cents:

Burdar

From everything I've read over the years, the nicer your pad is to begin with, the nicer it will look if you go with Just Dashes.  I don't think they completely strip off the factory foam.  If they have to fill a bunch of bad cracks, sometimes you see those areas in the finished product.  Just what I've read over the years.

I went with an Ultimate Rides pad.  Not perfect by any means but it was the best available.  Everyone says their grain is correct but not on my 73.  I still have a small section of the original vinyl and it isn't even close.  Not to mention their vinyl is a dark gray...not black.

Mopar5

Quote from: anlauto on August 25, 2020, 10:36:21 AM

The Just Dashes pad will look worse then what you have in my opinion. They are puffy and over inflated looking, nothing like original. The $200 for colour will be the same spray bomb paint job that's on the pad you have now. The only benefit will be that the Just dashes will have a steel core.
In my opinion you should have avoided the ABS core in the first place, and went with the Ultimate Rides pad or the new company APC Moparts pad steel core pads.

So Is ultimate rides or TNT owned by the same Alan Fox that seems to have a lot of negativity on the web? I was going to go there but I really dont want any issues

anlauto

Quote from: Mopar5 on August 25, 2020, 11:34:32 AM
Quote from: anlauto on August 25, 2020, 10:36:21 AM

So Is ultimate rides or TNT owned by the same Alan Fox that seems to have a lot of negativity on the web? I was going to go there but I really dont want any issues

YES...Alan Foxx is Ultimate Rides, etc...