Main Menu

ACC vs. Legendary carpet

Started by headejm, August 15, 2020, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

I'm getting close to choosing carpet for my 1974 Cuda as well. I seem to see 3 different carpet types - and the backing is separate.
On Rockauto I see Cutpile and Essex (with or without mass backing)
On Year One and Moparts Canada I see the Loop type. I don't see loop on Rockauto.

I am considering Cutpile or Loop - which one was original?
Year one seems to say theirs is original with the 80/20 mix (and includes a jute pad). Moparts.ca seems to say cut pile is original - I believe the cut pile is 100% Nylon.

I am leaning to cut pile (with mass backing) but I would probably do loop if that was original. Loop I understand wears better (not that I will be driving the car a lot) and cut pile I understand is easier to clean (does not trap dirt as much)

PLY474

@moparroy Check another year on Rockauto for loop carpet.  For some reason it's not listed for 74's. 

moparroy

Thanks - I noticed that on RA for some stuff between Cuda and Barracuda - had not really looked outside the 1974 year.

Does anyone know which would be closer to original - Cut pile or Loop? I understand Essex is not original

moparroy

So according to National Moparts (Canadian dealer) web page - loop was original through the end of 1973. Cut pile original starting in 1974 - might explain why loop is not shown under 1974 on RA as well. Does this seem right?

PLY474

Attached are pictures of my original 1974 carpet and tag.  I thought it was loop...but maybe not?   I also looked up front carpet part numbers for 72-74, and 74 is different.  For example black, auto, console: (B&J)1972=1667FX8, (B&J)1973=1667FX8, (B)1974=M532KX9, (J)1974=M534KX9.  Barracuda and Challenger part numbers were different for 74. 

I tend to look through Barracuda parts rather than Cuda parts on RA.  There seems to be more for Barracuda.

moparroy

Interesting. On initial look I would agree that looks more loop than cut pile. What is the manufacture date of your Cuda. If early could they have used up loop stock?
Looking more closely at the ACC website - the cut pile carpet does have a subtle "loop" look to it - where loop is more course.
I am attaching the sample pics from ACC for black loop and cut - once in the post can compare to your pic.
Wow hard to say - yours does look more random like the loop - where the cut seems to be more linear

PLY474

I found a couple of A-Body articles stating their 74s had loop. 
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/carpet.223301/#post-1969854339
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/info-on-duster-carpeting.418038/#post-1972233111

I don't know.  It's a head scratcher.  My cuda was born 10/10/73.  I'm out of town, but can check to see if a hook holds within the loop to be sure it's not cut pile, when I get back.  I may also order samples here and report back.  https://www.factoryinteriors.com/material-sample-request/ 

70 Top Banana

YellowThumper

Will check my original carpet against pics.
Feb built 74 Challenger.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Mrbill426

Jocigar

Any idea why 1970 and 71 would be different items for a cuda? both 4spd and mass backing loop    :dunno:

JS29

Probably because of the seat belt  re tractors.  :alan2cents:

YellowThumper

Feb build 74 Challenger. Original carpet.
Definitely loop. Not "cut".
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

PLY474

I'm finally following up with a carpet sample review.  I received 3 black samples: Loop, Cutpile, and Essex.  Loop and Cutpile have similar carpet density.  Essex carpet is considerably denser than the other two.  Cutpile and Essex carpet look the same, like modern car carpet (as others have said).  Loop & Cutpile backing is similar thickness and flexibility, which bends easily.  Essex backing is thicker and is more resistant to bending.

My 74 definitely came with Loop, not Cutpile per the catalogs.  I'll probably go Loop.

I'm thinking about putting these samples in a south side window for the winter to compare fade.