Main Menu

Another problem - Does it ever end?

Started by blown motor, May 01, 2017, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

If you've been following my other thread on my gauge cluster restoration problems you'll know I've been having a bumpy ride. I got the dash all back together yesterday and thought it was finally good. Today I realized that when the turn signals blink that it sheds light down on to the gauge face below it. What's the solution here?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71GranCoupe

Did you have/install the light tubes that direct all the light from the bulb through the colored lenses? That is my guess with info provided. I will load a picture for you.

These tubes should be installed and is most likely the issue.

blown motor

Oh Crap!! I can't recall for certain if they were on the bezel when I re-installed it. Do they attach to the bezel or gauge cluster? I'm not even sure where they are now!

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Light tubes.  There are 3 (all different) that need to be in place.  many, I really feel for ya.   :Thud: 

71GranCoupe

Quote from: blown motor on May 01, 2017, 01:32:32 PM
Oh Crap!! I can't recall for certain if they were on the bezel when I re-installed it. Do they attach to the bezel or gauge cluster? I'm not even sure where they are now!

As Cody said, they are all different. They have tabs that clock them to the correct angle of the dash bezel to the clear lense where the tabs twist into the gauge body.

If you can't find yours, Dave at Roseville has them, as well as Mike at BE&A.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-3-Rallye-Dash-Light-Tubes-1970-1974-Mopar-E-body-Rally-Cluster-Gauge-Cuda-/282451057218?hash=item41c3651a42:g:Qx0AAOSwP~tW5qFU

anlauto

I thought all three were the same, it's the clocking on the gauge panel that is different :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Does this jar your memory any. Sorry, I was only able to find a pic showing 2 of them.

Cuda Cody

Look at the end of the light tubes and you'll notice little notches that hold the different red and green transparent lenses (Brake & Turn).  The little notches line up with the cut outs on the lenses. 

Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2017, 02:11:22 PM
I thought all three were the same, it's the clocking on the gauge panel that is different :thinking:

blown motor

I know what the tubes look like but dang it guys I can't remember if they are there or not. I'm sounding like a real dummy here, aren't I. The green left and right signal indicators lenses and red brake lense are there. Do the tubes attach to the bezel or the cluster? Is it possible to see them from underneath?

Cuda Cody

The tubes attach to the clean lens.  The twist and screw in.....  but not sure if you can see them once they are installed from looking up under the dash.  I can taker a peek and see when I get home if i can see them.

Alan, here's the notches for the light tubes.  But you might be right that they only screw in to the hole one way so they match up?   :notsure:  I just double check them when I install them to they all line up with the notches.

Aar1064

Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2017, 02:11:22 PM

That is correct. I thought they were different when disassembling and even numbered them but realized they were all the same when installing. The holes in the clear lens are what is different or rather the slots.

Cuda Cody

I'm still thinking the tubes are different.   :dunno:  See how the small tabs that hold the lens are all in different spots?  Each one is specific to Left, Right and Brake lenses.  Right?  :huh:

blown motor

The more I think about this the more annoyed I am. I'm sure I did not remove them from the lense when I shipped it for restoration. I'm certain they never came back. Thank you Mr Heaterbox!  :pullinghair:

Burdar

Remember Murry has a 74. They probably changed them at some point. They might be the same.

There are foam gaskets that seal the tube around the lenses. If that foam isn't in there, you could get some light showing where you don't want it.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Good points.  I make my own little foam gaskets with hole punches and that could be it.  Good thinking Burdar.   :idea: