Main Menu

Rat Problem

Started by 7212Mopar, July 13, 2020, 06:03:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

My 2012 SRT normally sits on my driveway under a car cover. It is only driven in the weekends may be once every two weeks. Rat is making a home on my engine bay. I used the spray on repellant and it seems to keep them away. Yesterday I had to clean up the mess on top of my engine, urine, dropping and hood insulation. The critter also chewed my windshield fluid hose. I tried the repellant again after clean up. Just now I check the car again and when I pop the hood, I see the droppings again and the rat about 8 to 10 inches long, black fur getting its ass off my engine. That thing was not in fear. I now put a good size spring trap on top of my engine and see if I can catch that bugger. I am open to suggestions on how to best get rid of them.  :steamingmad:
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Topcat

Irish Spring Soap

And the bucket deal with Peanut Butter in the middle.
They fall into and die. 

Cuda Cody

Topcat

A Big Mean Tabby Cat.

Best Hunters in the Domestic Cat family.

JH27N0B

I battled a mouse or mice hanging around under my darts hood this spring and finally resigned myself they were smarter than me!
I didn't try the bucket trick yet.
I've seen solar power ultrasonic sound generators that are supposed to repel rodents.  I've been thinking of getting one to see if it will drive away a chipmunk that made a home under my stoop.  Wasn't a big problem until I started coming out in the morning to find piles of rocks, dirt and gravel next to the stoop, the SOB is really making himself a mansion under there and my stoop will collapse into a sinkhole soon if I don't get him to go away!

Skid Row

:bigthumb: A #2 steel muskrat trap works well for a short time. I did have one gnaw off a leg to get away on time.

anlauto

:haha: :haha: :haha: first thing I thought of was the GIECO commercial as well  :clapping: :rofl: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

the bucket won't work for  a 10" rat.  He'll just jump out.  You have to trap that guy, or sit patiently with a BB gun, 22 or blow gun.  Rats are not terribly scared of us so he will return, even if he chews his leg off. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7212Mopar

Serious guys, Gieco commercial? My Mopar is being attack.

I checked the trap this morning and nothing. Cleaned the top of my engine again and rub the engine bay with repellant and set the trap on the ground next to the car. Will see if I get that ugly pest. Also ordered some peppermint spray after watching some YouTube. Thinking of getting an air rifle too but I don't have time to hunt. Never done that. I had many cats before I got marry but my wife freak out around animal. Beside I am not letting the cat out of the house so no use.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Jay Bee

I've never had to deal with rats, just mice.
So, have you looked into any of those rat poisons that they eat.

ToxicWolf

I use those sticky traps. Peel the plastic off the top to expos the sticky stuff and sit it next to a wall. Rats tend to run next to the wall. Open spaces scare rodents.

cuda hunter

those sticky pads will trip him up for a while.  Sounds like your going to have to buy some live traps.  the cage type traps that you put food into and they trigger the door to close.  That will get him.  Buy a couple.  Put one on the engine and a few around the car. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

BIGSHCLUNK

Ok, don't know about RATS but do know about mice. I've had charcoal under my cars for years. @blown motor  has seen it. Mice in my garage at times... yes. Ever in my cars.......... NO !

Matt13

Those plastic snap-traps work really well. Bait the center with peanut butter and it snaps their heads in two.

dodj

Quote from: Skid Row on July 14, 2020, 05:30:28 AM
:bigthumb: A #2 steel muskrat trap works well
Like using a 416 Rigby on a white tail.....

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill