Main Menu

Another problem - Does it ever end?

Started by blown motor, May 01, 2017, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

You might be on to something Cody, but the lens attaches to the housing, not the tubes.

Don't forget the square one for the high beam indicator as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Thanks Alan. I never thought of checking the high beam indicator.

I think for this year I'm just going to drive it. Then next winter I'll take it all apart again and make it right.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparDave

WELL the replacements are all the same, as mentioned the indicator lenses are on the housings, which really doesn't explain the notching on the tube to lens. unless it was for installing the lens into the housing when building the dash for alignment ??
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

blown motor

So Dave, then the lens goes in the bezel, the tube screws into the gauge cluster and the foam gasket goes between the two on assembly?

Timbbuc2

This is good information, I am doing this now
Get in, I'll drive

MoparDave

Quote from: blown motor on May 02, 2017, 06:25:55 AM
So Dave, then the lens goes in the bezel, the tube screws into the gauge cluster and the foam gasket goes between the two on assembly?

found this. AS Cody mentioned and from this picture. I'm lead to believe  cluster lens, tube , indicator lens, Gasket , cluster bezel

after 40 + years I would take it that the lens sticks to the gasket in the cluster bezel.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

blown motor

Interesting. The bezel was returned to me with the lenses installed in it.  :dunno:

anlauto

Quote from: MoparDave on May 02, 2017, 08:32:47 AM

found this. AS Cody mentioned and from this picture. I'm lead to believe  cluster lens, tube , indicator lens, Gasket , cluster bezel

after 40 + years I would take it that the lens sticks to the gasket in the cluster bezel.

In all my 32+ years of restoring E Bodies I've NEVER seen them assembled that way. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on May 02, 2017, 10:46:32 AM
Quote from: MoparDave on May 02, 2017, 08:32:47 AM

In all my 32+ years of restoring E Bodies I've NEVER seen them assembled that way. :alan2cents:

WOW...the grizzled old veteran learned something new today...I am not sure what that means for the rest of us mere mortals!!

:))
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

Thing is the indicator lenses are supposed to fit each individual tube, but once it's assembled the lenses stick to the foam seals & the attachment to the tubes fails.... So any time you take them apart the lenses are attached to the foam seal which in turn is attached to the wood grained bezel.... Alan isn't learning anything, he nearly stated he's never seen the lines attached to the tubes... Because they never are....

blown motor

Thanks for clearing that up Wild. My statement about the order of assembly was a question. I wasn't saying that's the way they were when I got them back. So Jason, the grizzled old veteran is still the same grizzled old veteran. And I'd be careful how you speak to him. Remember, he's going to be restoring your next e-body.  :yes:

anlauto

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2017, 02:11:22 PM
I thought all three were the same, it's the clocking on the gauge panel that is different :thinking:

I just went through this on my 73. The are position specific. If you look at the angle-cut ends when they are out of the car, they are slightly different.  I got my dash back together, and had some daylight showing on one of them, and of course that was driving me crazy. Had to pull the woodgrain again. Turns out I had two of them transposed. All is well now!

blown motor

I need to get back on this some day. I had called the shop and told them they nevr sent them back with the gauges and he said he'd send them. Of course the idiot stick never did.  :verymad: Don't ever do busines with Mr Heaterbox/Premium Dash Decals! I'll have to get a new set from Roseville unless someone has a good used set to sell.