Main Menu

Any pointers for doing carpet?

Started by FSHTAIL, October 12, 2020, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I just got my new ACC carpet from RockAuto, I compared it to the original, I'm shocked how accurate it is. 

The foot heel pad area is identical oh, I'm pretty happy with the new carpet is a little bit wider and longer so I can trim it to fit. 

My floor seems to have some kind of spray on sound deadening, I guess I'm just seeing if there's any advice or tips on how to install the carpet oh, it seems like there is no hole for the shifter so I'm assuming I will be making some holes for everything the pass-through. 

I plan on using rivet nuts to reattach the shifter boots around since it seems like all the factory did was self tappers into it.

I'm also running the wiring for auxiliary stereo equipment for the trunk, nothing radical, just a small sub for stereo depth.

Thanks.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

I think you need to make accomodations for the accel pedal as well.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mr Lee

A soldering iron works great for poking bolt holes in it
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Rich G.

Put it in the sun for a few hours to get it hot. A steamer works good to get it to mold around things. Get it tight around the hump and put your seatbelt bolts in will help. Don't cut anything that you don't have to until everything  is fit good.

B5fourspeed

Just did my ACC carpet.When you do the front carpet secure it around the shifter hole and then cut little by little to get it to fit right under the firewall and heater box.

Dakota

Racer57

I got a piece of rubber truck inner tube(thick) that was a few inches bigger than the shifter boot to lay under the carpet.  Then I cut a small hole to allow the shifter to squeeze through. After I slid it down over the shifter, I used a good quality duct tape to tape the edges down. I felt this would help to insulate some of the road noise that comes up through the opening.

FSHTAIL

Upon further inspection, I found three tiny tiny little rust holes from the inside just where your heel would go on a 3 pedal car.     I just had to walk away from it for a little bit, since the car season was kind of did here in the snow belt, I figured I'd get back to it eventually. 

Pretty cool to find out that the floorboards are original, this is the only rust in the entire floor board and it's from the inside out, nothing underneath. 

I like that tip for the shifter sound control, I will definitely do something like that..

I just have to figure out what gauge steel to use, I will stitch a fresh patch in and detail it top to bottom properly instead of just putting some schmutz into it....

RUNCHARGER

That's not bad at all. You'll have it fixed in no time.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Make sure the front section is far enough forward , too many times is see a big gap between the heater box & the carpet , I cut a couple of slots near the gas pedal pivot so the carpet can go through the pivot .

formula_s

DO NOT use that stupid grommet around the dimmer switch... the cars came with those.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: formula_s on October 27, 2020, 06:48:44 PM
DO NOT use that stupid grommet around the dimmer switch... the cars came with those.

What grommet?

Daveh

I would use the Grommet.  It's easy to install and gives it that finished look.  I have 2 extra if you didn't get one in your kit that I can drop one in the mail to you. 

Burdar

Mopars never used a grommet around the dimmer switch.  A slice was just placed in the carpet and the dimmer switch was pushed through.  It just depends on what type of restoration you are doing.   If you are going for the "correct" look, then you don't use the grommet.

dodj

This one

It will make more sense if you turn your head sideways. As you can probably tell, I prefer to use the grommet.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill