Main Menu

Carpet

Started by dodj, December 01, 2019, 09:45:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Thinking of buying the ACC Essex carpet set for the Challenger. It's thicker.
Anybody install one of these sets? The extra thickness cause any issues with the kick panels, side sills etc?
:notsure:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I would assume it is thicker int he middle areas such as under the seats & pedals etc , how much thicker would it be at the edges , , I doubt it would they would make it that much thicker that it would cause problems with sill plates etc .
Sorry I have not installed one tho

BIGSHCLUNK

Good question. I never had an issue with the regular ACC carpet.  :notsure:

JH27N0B

I am not familiar with Essex, but used ACC mass backed carpet in my convertible a few years back.  Is Essex mass a backed and thick pile variation maybe? 
Whatever the case, mass backed was harder to install, thicker to cut and I made the mistake of not wearing gloves and tore up/blistered my hands pretty bad before I wised up and put on gloves.
It took some effort to get the sills to install without catching on the door panels when closing the door, trimming to fine tune and get right. I don't recall any trouble with the kick panels.
The end result was nice.  No need to install dynomat or whatever it's called under the new carpet for sound and heat insulation if you use mass backed. I'd use mass backed again, but I'd wear gloves from the beginning and maybe invest in some good shears instead of scissors to make the job easier next time.

dodj

Quote from: JH27N0B on December 02, 2019, 04:34:46 PM
Is Essex mass a backed and thick pile variation maybe? 
It is a thicker pile, and you can get massed back as well if you wish.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

I have ACC Essex, it is essentially cut pile carpet.
It's exactly the same style as my 06 Mustang.
I definitely prefer it over the old style loop carpet.
It's not any thicker than stock and I had no issues fitting sills or kick panels.

dodj

Katfish

Glad to help,

Lot to read through, but if you scroll down to my follow-up post, there's some pics.
Looking at the date, it's been in my car 7 yrs and still looks like new.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/544178.html

dodj

Mine doesn't look like new anymore. When the sun hits it, it kind of have a black/purple hue.  Come to think of it, I installed it right around the time I got married. That was 31 years ago. About time for a freshen up.
I'll check out the moparts link.

Ya, good pics, I'll order up the essex. Thanks again Rod.