Main Menu

Carpet Positioning - 1974 Cuda 360

Started by moparroy, September 18, 2021, 02:12:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

I received a my ACC carpet this week - more on that later - and put it out in the sun today before laying it in the car.
Generally looks good - have a couple questions - appreciate help as the carpet was long gone from the car when I got it and well that was too long ago to remember anyway  :)).
The position of the rear piece is pretty straight forward based on the molding but I am not sure how far forward the front piece should go? I am guessing either the very front of the heel pad or the line that goes across it at the "dog leg" or cut out on its left side - line that goes across the heel pad about 1/4 of the way back from the top of the heel pad (sorry not sure how to describe it better) - I am thinking either the top or that line should maybe align to the bottom of the firewall and by bottom of the firewall I mean the point where the horizontal floor starts to rise up the 45 degree or so angle piece. Looking to confirm before I start any incisions. I think aligning the line to the bottom of the firewall puts the dimmer switch cut out in the jute pretty close. The carpet does go quite a bit up the firewall then - but I know it needs to be trimmed.
So that brings me to my second question - when I trim the front of the carpet how far up the firewall is ok? assume to the base of the steering column support which may mean a cut around it - but wondering on the heater box side - can it go under the firewall insulation or should it just to up to the firewall insulation? Assuming I do not want it under the heater box / blower motor mounting so that needs trim for sure.

So the longer story is the carpet arrived a couple weeks ago but a quick look identified that the jute on the back was not attached correctly - bunched up on the passenger side and therefore short on the driver's side - both front and rear pieces same issue. I had ordered it through Rockauto - quick submission for defect with some pictures and I had instructions to return it. I think the fellow I talked to was a B-body owner if I understood. Got the new one on Thursday and looks perfect. I went with what I understood was the correct cut pile for 1974 - like it - glad I did. I decided not to get the mass backing - seems to be very mixed reviews on that and I had already installed sound and heat barriers. I am considering I might install the ACC EVA sound dampener mats still before I am finished. The carpet sits ok as is but a little more padding under it might be good and that mat might protect the foam heat barrier I installed.

Thanks in advance

Chryco Psycho

I have installed the front carpet so it is virtually touching the heater box on the passenger side & even height across the firewall .

Burdar

The heel pad tells you where to put it.  The heel pad seam that runs left to right goes on the floor pan seam.(where the floor pan meets the firewall)  When you place the heel pad there, the cutout on the left front will match up with the hump in the floor pan.

Once you have the pad in the right place, cut the carpet as close to the heater box as possible.  You can try to tuck it up behind a little if you can.  As far as the drivers side, I'd run it up as high as you can.  You can notch it around the gas pedal and steering column.  You don't want to be able to see any bare firewall when you open the door and look in.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on September 19, 2021, 06:56:45 AM
The heel pad tells you where to put it.  The heel pad seam that runs left to right goes on the floor pan seam.(where the floor pan meets the firewall)  When you place the heel pad there, the cutout on the left front will match up with the hump in the floor pan.

Once you have the pad in the right place, cut the carpet as close to the heater box as possible.  You can try to tuck it up behind a little if you can.  As far as the drivers side, I'd run it up as high as you can.  You can notch it around the gas pedal and steering column.  You don't want to be able to see any bare firewall when you open the door and look in.

This is exactly correct... :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Thanks! appreciate it. That makes sense - kinda what I thought. Started some fitting on the rear carpet piece today - hope to get the carpet all fitted tomorrow - except the sill areas which I'll leave for later after more of the interior is done.
The heater box is not installed - that will be the next step after the carpet is trimmed. In another post it was suggested to trim the carpet at the firewall before installing stuff so following that advice.