Main Menu

Challenger dash emblem

Started by Mr Lee, January 28, 2020, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Interesting Terry that yours had rectangular push nuts....I'll have to look and see if I have any Challenger ones....mine pictured above was a Barracuda  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

On my original 70 Challenger OE pad, the dash emblem was just black plastic, no chrome no silver paint. This is on a car that was a very early built LA car. Pic shows the way my emblem came from factory, not my pad.
Thanks,   Al

anlauto

Likely the chrome color is just worn off  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2020, 07:42:30 PM
Likely the chrome color is just worn off  :alan2cents:

Never chrome, :looney: it's vacuum metalized which is a totally different process and a poor mans way to put a chrome like finish on a plastic part.  It doesn't take to many years of wiping it or the sun shining on it to knock it right off.  Vacuum metalizing is nothing more that a very thin layer of powdered vapored aluminum applied to the part.  MOPAR never used this process on any exterior plastic parts, one of the few parts MOPAR did actual hard chroming on plastic was the headlight rings on a 71 Cuda.

"Vacuum metalizing is the process of evaporating metals, most commonly aluminum, inside a vacuum chamber and bonding them to the desired substrate"

Vacuum metalizing has been around for many years, the only issue with it, it doesn't wear very well like when being cleaned.  Typically, all MOPAR interior plastic parts, back in the day, were vacuum metalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvT5F7e9ZM

I found this one, it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLehYoPzdW8

screamindriver

Hi Mike, cool videos...  I was told the vacuum metalizing was  sprayed with a clear lacquer top coat back in the day..Imagine how fast a harsh cleaner would wipe out that nice finish...Today shops like G-Car use a high quality urethane as the top coat that adds more durability to the process..

6Pack70

Hmmm,  can it be clear powdercoated to protect it?

Mr Lee

Quote from: 6Pack70 on January 30, 2020, 04:11:33 PM
Hmmm,  can it be clear powdercoated to protect it?

Maybe the metal ones can?  I dunno, but ya can't powdercoat plastic cuz it would melt in the oven. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: screamindriver on January 30, 2020, 04:00:11 PM
Hi Mike, cool videos...  I was told the vacuum metalizing was  sprayed with a clear lacquer top coat back in the day..Imagine how fast a harsh cleaner would wipe out that nice finish...Today shops like G-Car use a high quality urethane as the top coat that adds more durability to the process..

You are absolutely correct Collin, like the ebody dash emblem, all the abody and bbody dash bezels were also vacuum metalized and sprayed with a lacquer finish to try to protect the thin layer of aluminum.