Main Menu

Door Latch Rod Clip Differences

Started by gzig5, December 16, 2020, 11:51:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

As I'm fitting the doors back on the car the new/old door doesn't want to open and close nicely with the latch so I pulled the assembly out to clean it.  A couple of the plastic clips that secure the rods broke and I'll need new ones but I'm confused about which ones.  The door is off a 7-73 build date Cuda but it has the green, red, white, and black clips shown for the 70-71 or 72.  Nothing like the ones shown for 73-74 at least as far as colors.  The old original door 1-73, is harder to tell but I can't tell what color they are yet.  Is there that big of a difference for the one on the rods?  Only difference I can tell from the pic is the number of rod clips for each year (8, 10, or 12) and the color.  Just want to order the right stuff and I imagine that should be the 73-74 regardless of the colors.

Maybe this should have been in the body section, move as needed.

Floyd

The main difference between the plastic clips is the thickness of the metal lever that it fits into.  If you look at that part that snaps into the hole in the lever ends you'll notice more offset provided for the ones with the thicker levers.  I don't know about the original color code rationale.

gzig5

Well I received the incorrect kit.  I got a kit for a 72 but ordered 73-74.  Stupid thing is, the parts in the 72 kit match what is in this door for color and thickness of the groove.  I have to assume someone before me put the 72 kit parts in this 73 door?  It is the driver side and has a 7-73 build date on the sticker, but this door is not original to the car which is a 1-73 build  Not sure if I should send it back and get the "right" 73 parts or just run with it.  The 73 kit has twelve clips total and the 72 kit ten.