Main Menu

E body door jamb switch wiring ?

Started by Purepony, May 03, 2021, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Hi everyone my door jamb switches weren't wires so I'm looking for the actual color of the wires. I already have the diagram but it's really hard to see. Does anyone have a picture of what I'm supposed to look for ? I have a few wires that aren't connected a black a white and a yellow

Thanks

72RoadRunnerGTX

What year? Yellow, black, and Yellow with black tracer is typical at the pin switches, varied a bit on the year. Later years included all three wires on the three-conductor driver's pin switch.

Dakota

I have the yellow and yellow w/ black tracer in mine. 

Door jamb switches complete a ground circuit rather than a more typical 12volt+ circuit for other switches.   If you have the same color combination of wires available as above, one of them with show continuity with the an exposed part of the dash frame or some other ground location.

Purepony

Thanks for the reply I forgot to mention car is a 1973-74
Let me post a pic of what I have

Thanks again

Purepony

Thanks for the reply I'm going to post a pic

Purepony

Here's what I have on the driver side

72RoadRunnerGTX

Yea, those are the pin switch leads for the left door. I'd remove that tap connection, tape the wire, connect them back to the pin switch. Likely had an aftermarket alarm installed at some time.

Purepony

So plug the switch that has one spade to which wire ?
Yeah I'm removing the tap I'm trying to clean up the wiring too a lot of mods I guess people did over the years but hood thing is it's finally coming together

72RoadRunnerGTX

With the correct two-terminal switch, does not matter which wire goes to what terminal. If you are installing a single terminal switch, connect the yellow wire if you want dome lamp switching.

Purepony

That makes me wonder
Which switch would I need ?
I have a single spade
Should I get a double ?

72RoadRunnerGTX

The picture posted indicates the car came with a two-terminal switch at that location, I'd be looking for a two terminal replacement switch. Shouldn't be hard to find, fairly common switch.

Purepony

Got it
Looking for it now

Meanwhile my carpets on the way

Purepony

Update : wired both lights so some now works and as a bonus my buzzer works too