Main Menu

Educate me please!

Started by Spikedog08, March 17, 2023, 05:39:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So this is 70 special and is what sets the clock on a rallye dash?  How does the knob attach to the end? 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Jay Bee

It looks like the threads on the end are broken off, nothing for the barrel screws to screw onto. You need a new cable.

Jay Bee

You also have the wrong mounting nut. BTW, compare the trip odometer reset to the clock's cable and you'll see how much thread should be there. Sorry, my picture doesn't show the threads too well but it does the nut.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 18, 2023, 07:53:52 AM
You also have the wrong mounting nut. BTW, compare the trip odometer reset to the clock's cable and you'll see how much thread should be there. Sorry, my picture doesn't show the threads too well but it does the nut.
wonder if Roseville sells the cable?   :thinking:

Jay Bee

They do, I saw it there when I was looking for a good picture of it. No nut though, if yours work just use that one.

E74cuda

Looks correct to me. The smaller end attaches to the back of the clock. The larger end is inserted into the lower hole in the previous picture shown. The chrome retainer nut is on your cable in reverse, it is the correct one. Insert the larger end through the hole, the nut will be up against the back of the housing and secure it with the chrome nut.

headejm

Here's a pretty good photo. Hope it helps.  :cheers:

E74cuda

Looking at it again it seems that the threads for the retainer screw that holds on the chrome reset knob are broken off

Jay Bee

Yuuuup.

I'm also convinced Spikedog08's nut (don't go there) is wrong for the reset cable too. IMO it should just be a plain 6-sided one. Check out the OER application list, E body rallye clock cable isn't there.
https://www.moparts.ca/oer-1960-73-mopar-a-b-e-body-switch-retainer-nut-various

EDIT: Okay, I guess I could be wrong about the attaching nut.
https://moparplus.com/242-nut-mopar-1970-71-e-body-rallye-dash-gauge-clock-cable-nut/

Spikedog08

Thanks for all helpful comments . . from the pictures, there are no threads on the end of my cable so I am assuming I need a new one?  Working on this project today!   :bigthumb:

Jay Bee

No threads on the end, you definitely need a new cable.

I wonder if the broken threads are inside the barrel screw. You might need a new one. Unfortunately I don't see them on Roseville's site and I've never seen the knobs sold individually or just the barrel screw.
https://vansauto.com/product/70-71-e-body-clock-reset-knob-and-nut/

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 19, 2023, 11:20:31 AM
No threads on the end, you definitely need a new cable.

I wonder if the broken threads are inside the barrel screw. You might need a new one. Unfortunately I don't see them on Roseville's site and I've never seen the knobs sold individually or just the barrel screw.
https://vansauto.com/product/70-71-e-body-clock-reset-knob-and-nut/

So do the knobs just screw on?  Always wondered that . .

Jay Bee

The knobs don't screw on, they slide down over the threaded end of the cable (or odometer reset shaft) and bottom out. Then the barrel screw(s) drop down the center of the hollow chrome knob. With an appropriate sized jewelers flat head screwdriver you screw it onto the cable's threads.

Putting these knobs on is always the last thing I do to avoid any damage. Usually once the dash is all in while sitting in the driver's seat. Whatever you do, don't lose those tiny screws or you'll be buying another set. This pic might give a better idea

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 19, 2023, 02:05:09 PM
The knobs don't screw on, they slide down over the threaded end of the cable (or odometer reset shaft) and bottom out. Then the barrel screw(s) drop down the center of the hollow chrome knob. With an appropriate sized jewelers flat head screwdriver you screw it onto the cable's threads.

Putting these knobs on is always the last thing I do to avoid any damage. Usually once the dash is all in while sitting in the driver's seat. Whatever you do, don't lose those tiny screws or you'll be buying another set. This pic might give a better idea

Wow well first I didn't know the tops had an opening!  Makes more sense now!  Definitely will need a new clock cable . . Looks like another trip to Roseville soon . .