Main Menu

Floor shift boot - 4 speed

Started by 70mopes, October 23, 2017, 08:25:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70mopes

My 4 speed shifts heavily into 2nd and 4th gears.  I thought it might be carpet bunching up against the mechanism.  I trimmed back some of the carpet (and the attached jute) to free it up but it still shifts clumsily.   It appears that the boot I used back when I restored it is too heavy and thick in the way it was manufactured.  The folds are too thick.  The part looks OK but doesn't work the way it should.

Who sells the right boot that is light and flexible?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

@MoparDave  have you had any experience with this type of thing happening before?  If Dave doesn't have a better boot I can check with Dan Brewer and see what he night have.

Charlie, are you sure it's the boot that is hanging up and causing it?  Have you tested it without the boot on to see if that solves it?

GY3R/T

Hmmm... Kinda hard to think the rubber boot is restricting the rearward throw of shifting. If the boot is interfering that much, one would think it would tear.  I'm sure you've checked shift mechanism and linkage. Other than that... syncro's ?

70mopes

I will double check.  I had it apart to cut the carpet back and then screwed the boot back in and tried it and it was pretty much the same.  I did not drive it with the boot free.   

Trans is rebuilt and all synchros work fine.  The tranny shifts good and there is no binding in the rods.  It was adjusted properly.   

The boot is clunky and thick.   I reacted somewhat based on my recollection from years back that many boots were made heavy and as a result caused crappy shifting as well as pulling the trans out of gear.

The only other thing I can think of is potentially the reverse lockout linkage might be acting up.

Chryco Psycho

I recall seeing this also with thick boots . What about turning the boot 180* , it may work better .
Dave would be my source for a new one , I bet it shifts just fine with the boot loose or slid up the handle

fc7cuda

Do you recall where the boot came from?  Maybe a pic or two to see where it rides on the shifter would help.   :dunno:

MoparDave

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 23, 2017, 09:03:21 PM
@MoparDave  have you had any experience with this type of thing happening before?  If Dave doesn't have a better boot I can check with Dan Brewer and see what he night have.

Charlie, are you sure it's the boot that is hanging up and causing it?  Have you tested it without the boot on to see if that solves it?

what I can tell you is the Mopar or OEM boot that is currently still available is a harder rubber than most like it to be. This alos leads into the boot splitting at the top from getting too cold. there are essentially 3 mfg's on this boot. Mopar, PG, Metro. I would rather sell the metro than the OEM #3467766. its more pliable and the rubber I believe is more correct.

but again I really don't see a shift boot creating a linkage or gear issue, it would be a constant shifting issue IMO if it was the boot. :alan2cents:
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

fc7cuda

Floyd