Main Menu

Gauge needle colour question - Update - Finally done

Started by blown motor, March 29, 2017, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Ask Mauro Brocca about the tach one of his customers had done there.....it somehow worked backwards :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

:stop: There's a lot of stories around about "Mr. Heaterbox"  :(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

303 Mopar

cataclysm80

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 23, 2017, 06:23:58 PM
Thanks Cody. Do you tape the sides of orange needle off so no orange paint gets on the black?

If your black gauge with white lettering is original, try not to touch it at all, and definitely don't put tape on it.
Touching the white lettering can smear it onto the black, and then you'll never get it to look right again unless you send it out to be relettered.
If you want to mask the face while painting the needle, maybe just slide a piece of paper between them like Randy suggested above.

blown motor

Alan, do you have contact info for Mauro Brocca? I would like to talk to him before I fire mine up.

anlauto

Quote from: blown motor on April 25, 2017, 12:51:42 PM
Alan, do you have contact info for Mauro Brocca? I would like to talk to him before I fire mine up.

Try contacting him through his web site http://performancecarrestorations.com/   :alan2cents:

blown motor

I fired it up tonight to see how things work. I have an Autogage tach on the column. The tach that was in there was an 8000 and it was way out. I had them put in a 7000 (correct for the car) and re-calibrate it. At 1000 on the Autogage the dash one read 1450, at 2500 on the Autogage the dash one read 3050.  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:

I'm so sick of this that I think I'm just going to leave it for this year and finish putting the dash back together so I can drive it.

Unless....(where's that drum roll emoji?)....there is a quick and easy way to accurately calibrate the tach. Any suggestions?

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on April 25, 2017, 05:59:06 PM
I fired it up tonight to see how things work. I have an Autogage tach on the column. The tach that was in there was an 8000 and it was way out. I had them put in a 7000 (correct for the car) and re-calibrate it. At 1000 on the Autogage the dash one read 1450, at 2500 on the Autogage the dash one read 3050.  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:  :pullinghair:

I'm so sick of this that I think I'm just going to leave it for this year and finish putting the dash back together so I can drive it.

Unless....(where's that drum roll emoji?)....there is a quick and easy way to accurately calibrate the tach. Any suggestions?

:Thud: :sorry:  Wow that sucks! Good grief after all that.....

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on April 25, 2017, 05:59:06 PM

Oh man that sucks.

Just to play devil's advocate, are you sure that the auto gauge tach is correct?

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

It hasn't been a good winter for us Brad. You with your bumper troubles and me with my gauges.

blown motor

I sure thinks so Jason. I have 3.23 gears and it reads about 2500 at 60mph. That seems about right to me. I'm going to get a buddy to check it with a timing light just to see.

cataclysm80

Are your newly painted gauge needles visible with your dash lights, or are they hard to see like on Cody's first attempt at painting gauge needles?

blown motor

I don't have the dash lights back in yet. I'll try to remember to post about that when I get it all back together.

jimynick

Murray, I've got an old Sun Super tach that you could use as a third control if you want to. I might even deliver it.  :yes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"