Main Menu

headliner replacement with windshields installed?

Started by Dakota, May 11, 2020, 04:08:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Most of the YouTube videos I've watched involving headliner replacements for 70ish Mopars are done prior to the installation of the front and rear windshields.   My windshields were both reinstalled after I had the car painted.   As I've been spending more time looking up while working on the wiring under the dashboard, I can see some spots that suggest I should replace the headliner, but I don't want to open a can of worms. 

Can this be done properly with the glass in place?

dodj

I did mine with all glass in place. It is very do-able, you just have to be patient and careful when hooking the material front and back. The windshield is in the way so you have to push with your thumb tips rather than pulling it tight from outside the cabin.
Buy some metal clips to help you on the sides. Those black springy ones with the silver wire handles. I don't know the real name obviously.....lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

After install there were a couple creases from being folded in the box. After about a week there were very much diminished. Then a very little bit of heat from a hair dryer tightened everything up.
I'm no pro at it, I did it once, so if I did it, you can do it. Trimming the material for the listing wires took me a while cuz I didn't want to trim too much.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Easier with glass out but still no problem with the glass in. The car will smell better with a new one and you'll be glad you did it. Think of all the smokers that have sat in the car over the years.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2020, 07:35:34 AM
Easier with glass out but still no problem with the glass in. The car will smell better with a new one and you'll be glad you did it. Think of all the smokers that have sat in the car over the years.

:iagree: Couldn't agree more... :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Rodent's can make villages in the headliner, and that will make a mess and smell things up.  :yes:

Dakota

Thanks much for the help, gents.  I'll add this to the "to do" list to be finished before I put the rest of interior back in.

Since I found 4 dead mice under the back seat when I originally pulled the interior apart, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if I find another rodent hang out behind the headliner.

JS29

Quote from: Dakota on May 11, 2020, 11:50:59 AM
Thanks much for the help, gents.  I'll add this to the "to do" list to be finished before I put the rest of interior back in.

Since I found 4 dead mice under the back seat when I originally pulled the interior apart, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if I find another rodent hang out behind the headliner.
Count on it! :yes:

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2020, 07:35:34 AM
In my case a mouse had built a nest above the visor. I couldn't figure out where the horrible smell was coming from. I looked behind kick panels, the dash, under the seats. Couldn't find the source of the smell. One day I flipped the visor down and you could see the stain from mouse pi$$. You are correct. Your car smells a lot better with a new headliner...