Main Menu

Gas Cap with Flip Top installed

Started by Aloha Randy, August 09, 2021, 11:35:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Aloha Randy

I am going to the flip top gas filler on my 1970 Challenger and wondered what you all are using as a gas cap in this configuration? What came on stock set ups? I hada 69 Charger years ago and can't remember what that had either. Gettin old I guess.....

erik70rt

Originals had a locking cap under them, and if you can find one it will be VERY expensive to get.  I run a plain cap from Autozone under mine.  Works great and only costs a few bucks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

jimynick

Quote from: erik70rt on August 09, 2021, 01:09:49 PM
Originals had a locking cap under them, and if you can find one it will be VERY expensive to get.  I run a plain cap from Autozone under mine.  Works great and only costs a few bucks!
Wow, I just today started to try to install my flip cap and realized I needed a smaller cap. Would you by any chance know the # of that cap? Autozone is a little thin on the ground here in Canada. Thanks!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

1 Wild R/T

Depends on what filler pipe you have.....

1 Wild R/T

And if you want to see an original....

GrandpaKevin

Not sure about 1970 but in 1971 the locking gas cap was an option (J46) that actually appeared on the fender tag.

I assume a regular twist cap under the flip open lid was standard :notsure:

erik70rt

Quote from: jimynick on August 09, 2021, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: erik70rt on August 09, 2021, 01:09:49 PM
Wow, I just today started to try to install my flip cap and realized I needed a smaller cap. Would you by any chance know the # of that cap? Autozone is a little thin on the ground here in Canada. Thanks!  :bigthumb:

Duralast Fuel Cap 6032
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

kflohrit

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on August 10, 2021, 05:05:27 AM
Not sure about 1970 but in 1971 the locking gas cap was an option (J46) that actually appeared on the fender tag.

I assume a regular twist cap under the flip open lid was standard :notsure:

My 1970 does have the locking gas cap option, but it was not on the fender tag. Maybe someone added it to mine? I twas my parents for 30 years and they did not add it.

6bblgt

all factory Challengers with the flip-top cover had the locking cap when new - it was one OPTION - less than $5 "J46"

it was discontinued during the 1971 model year

it will or won't show up on a fender tag depending when the car was built - it was included with the A53 "TRANS AM package"

JonH

NAPA   703 1035    non locking... non vented

70vert

@6bblgt Impressive knowledge! Do you have all the option codes in your head, or is there a document somewhere listing them? I know there are decoders but you'd need the code to start with for those.

headejm