Main Menu

Heater box alignment to ducts: BIG GAP problem

Started by njsteve, October 25, 2020, 12:09:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

I must be missing something??? Is there some type of bracketing or other mounting screws that hold the heater box up (vertically) against the cowl? It seems that the only things holding the box to the car are the three nuts that go on the heater motor assembly in the engine compartment. I can't seem to get the box to stay up tight against the cowl area where the air flows in from the outer cowl.

Help me Obewan Kenobe, you're my only hope...

anlauto

You're missing the "J" hook that goes inside the vent box. Available in reproduction (see below)

In the middle there is always a 1" gap because it draws in cabin air to help defrost the windshield. :alan2cents:

https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=114-HBH071
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

njsteve

From earlier posting I understand the gap for the ducts on the left. Got a photo of this J-hook technology you speak of, from the dark side of The Force??

njsteve

njsteve

Very interesting! The long bolt goes in that mysterious hole in the boss at the upper front of the heat box near the cowl opening?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

njsteve

76orangewagon

FYI...the aftermarket need bent a lot to have a chance of working correctly,,,, the top is an original and the bottom is an aftermarket. Note the difference in the angle.

76orangewagon

Also .....once bolted in place correctly, I had no gap on the defroster duct.

njsteve

Thanks for the info photo. That makes it much easier once the repro arrives. Much less screaming at non-fitting parts when I know what I need to do to make them fit.

anlauto

Just check a few of my photos ...I found the gap size varies, I first said a 1" gap was normal, but now see even on the cars I've restored that there can be little or no gap as well....learn something every day...  :worship:

As for the hook angle....I've never met a reproduction part that didn't need some modification to work... :haha: :haha:

71vert340

Heater box to duct alignment on my 71. Never been apart.
Terry

anlauto

Great picture Terry, I think that gap is more common then the pictures Ross and I posted. :alan2cents:

dodj

I've only had four challengers,  but all of them had about a3/4" gap in the defrost ducting. 
It may be only cars that are restored and very lovingly & carefully assembled that end up with no gap?  :dunno:
I like a little gap myself.....

No offense intended to the restorers.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on October 26, 2020, 04:29:04 AM
I've only had four challengers,  but all of them had about a3/4" gap in the defrost ducting. 
It may be only cars that are restored and very lovingly & carefully assembled that end up with no gap?  :dunno:
I like a little gap myself.....

No offense intended

:iagree: I was surprised to see no or little gap when I reviewed some of the cars I restored :huh: