Main Menu

HEATER CORE FLUSH

Started by 71-440, January 07, 2018, 03:32:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71-440

My Challenger doesn't have the heat hooked up. The previous owner never drove the car in winter. I like to drive my cars.. :driving:
the AC is  hooked up but the heater core is capped off.
First thing I think I should do is flush the heater core and check for leaks.
Probably have to connect some hoses to a water supply and run something
through it.

Any suggestions on what to flush it out with?
Thanks !

Joe

Cuda Cody

I've never done a heater core fluch, but I would assume you could use distilled water and figure out a way to pump it through.  Shouldn't take much PSI to push a bit of distilled water through it.    :notsure:

71-440

Didn't think of distilled water. That maybe an option.
Thanks!
Joe

1 Wild R/T

Hook up a couple heater hoses, run one down the the drain pan, hook the other up to a garden hose, turn on water, 30 seconds later done, reverse hoses & repeat...  Chances are the heater core leaks which is why it's not connected.... 

Jim AAR

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 07, 2018, 04:14:47 PM
Hook up a couple heater hoses, run one down the the drain pan, hook the other up to a garden hose, turn on water, 30 seconds later done, reverse hoses & repeat...  Chances are the heater core leaks which is why it's not connected....

:iagree:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

71-440

Thanks for the replies and advise. I sure hope it doesn't leak. Just more work on my part.

Joe

Chryco Psycho

there are good repro cores but not fun getting an A/C box out & apart  :sorry:

71-440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 08, 2018, 02:10:55 PM
there are good repro cores but not fun getting an A/C box out & apart  :sorry:

I know what you mean. I have been looking at the manual and it looks like a bit of a job. I sure hope it doesn't leak when I flush it.:fingerscrossed:
I will definitely have to have some help if it comes down to pulling the box.
Joe

HEMICUDA

Do a vacuum leak down check, that will tell you if it has a hole, then I would flush it.  No need to make a mess inside the car if it does leak.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 71-440 on January 07, 2018, 05:06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies and advise. I sure hope it doesn't leak. Just more work on my part.

Make sure you have plenty of towels on under the box to protect your carpet.... :yes:

1 Wild R/T

Thing is most heater cores don't fail catastrophically, so it probably won't destroy your carpet... But being prepared is a good thing... However what they often do is seep just enough to completely fog your windshield when you turn on the defroster....

Jim AAR

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 10, 2018, 10:11:11 AM
Thing is most heater cores don't fail catastrophically, so it probably won't destroy your carpet... But being prepared is a good thing... However what they often do is seep just enough to completely fog your windshield when you turn on the defroster....

:iagree: I've never seen one leak that bad, mostly just fogs up the windshield when it's on.

71-440

Thanks Guys for the advise. I did plan on having a bunch of towels and also my little carpet extractor handy. I figure it might just drip
if it had a leak. Fogging the windshield makes sense.

I knew there was a reason for joining this forum...lol  :)
Joe

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: If you're in your 20's and take your Mom for a ride  in your 67 GTX, she will let you know if the core leaks on her foot. RIP Mom.
The towels are a good idea but yes, look for small drips.
Sheldon