Main Menu

UR Dash - Light Contact on LH Side of Windshield

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, November 13, 2017, 06:58:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I have an AMD windshield with an Ultimate Rides dash.

The gap on the passengers side is a little wide to the glass and the portion just under the VIN plate barely kisses the windshield. Enough to make a noise on big enough bumps. I don't recall there being any slotted holes in the firewall or dash for adjustment, did I miss them?

I wanted to check if anyone had a good idea to relieve it before I start taking things apart! The windshield is set with the proper thickness butyl rope, and as I mentioned, there is a good gap on the passenger side...therefore I blame the dash.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

There are some variations to the dash pads and I can see how if it was a little thicker on one side it could cause the issue.  The pads that I have installed I was careful to make sure I had all the shims and the windshield set to the before I glued it in.  I'm not sure what can be done after the windshield is in?   :thinking:

anlauto

The dash assembly is somewhat adjustable, depending on how far you want to come down...problem is...it's a huge job. :alan2cents:  It would involve adjusting the steering column bracket (connected to the pedal bracket)  downward as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks guys.

I will be in the cluster to add a light and I'll be in the column to tighten up the turn signal handle. I'll poke around and see what I can get to in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

shawge

I have a UR dash as well for a Challenger, bought it many years ago - has the same problem.  Too much foam around the vent holes near the windshield.  There was no way the window would have fit into the channel w/o significant pressure.  I had to do microsurgery on the dash to get the vinyl to lay down more.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

nsmall

I have a new UR dash.  So is it rubbing in this area?  I'm paroniod now.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on November 14, 2017, 09:55:04 AM
I have a new UR dash.  So is it rubbing in this area?  I'm paroniod now.

Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

shawge

Mine looked similar, I was not comfortable with how it sat.  I wager  :alan2cents: the passenger side looks good and sits below the window channel a little.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

HP_Cuda

Wow that sucks.

I had my own problems but glad that is not one of them.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

First pic is passenger side.

Second pic is driver's.

So I'm about to have the same problem as Goodys.  So the option will be to trim the pad or use shims? I'm using stock butyl I bought from @MoparDave

Sounds like the best option people are saying is to test fit it first before I glue it down?   Sorry I'm not trying to steal this thread but it seems like I'm about to be going through the same problem soon. 

Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on November 14, 2017, 06:39:44 PM
First pic is passenger side.

Second pic is driver's.

So I'm about to have the same problem as Goodys.  So the option will be to trim the pad or use shims? I'm using stock butyl I bought from @MoparDave

Sounds like the best option people are saying is to test fit it first before I glue it down?   Sorry I'm not trying to steal this thread but it seems like I'm about to be going through the same problem soon. 

Thanks

No problem, I would personally try to shim or make some slots to adjust that side of the dash out slightly. However, that would also pull your steering column over since it mounts to the dash frame. Enough to matter? Probably not, but keep it in mind.

I didn't want to take any tools to a $1,000 dash pad and I am sure you don't either....kinda sucks. My squeak isn't too bad and it really isn't affecting my windshield seal [so far], but I would like it fixed.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

nsmall

Thanks.  Forgot to add the pics.  I'll try to move the dash some.  Yes, I don't want cut up a new dash.  If the windsheild will fit and there is no danger to breaking the glass, I can live with some noise.  I'll just avoid bumps. :rubeyes:

61K T/A

Why don't you return the dash and have the vendor send you one thats right? That's a lot of money for some thing that doesn't fit.

MoparDave

this is a new condition that I am unaware of. Which since spring I've sold 40+pads.  as Alan mentioned you will have to adjust the frame and balance out the gap. By adjusting the brake bracket by a smidge.  or loosen the 4 top bolt and see if you can get enough out of that. and or then right and left at the side cowl.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

anlauto

It's not the pad that is the problem, it is the installation of your dash assembly and with the use of the proper butyl tape, there shouldn't be an issue.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration