Main Menu

horn honking randomly

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 27, 2023, 08:01:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Wonder if the wire running down the column is pinched, bare, or rubbing any where it shouldn't ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

The title of this thread includes the word "randomly".  However, as I investigated it further, it is clear that the horn honk occurs at the spot where the tab from the cancel spring is lined up with the contact wheel for the horn.  I do not believe it is a pinched wire or shorted wire type of problem.

GoMangoBoys

Well, the root cause of my problem is confirmed.  Mike Ross stopped by and looked at it for 10 seconds and determined that my turn signal switch assembly is bad.  The spring-loaded roller contact is missing a part.  He said that it should not be able to move side to side as you push it in.  I guess I need to get a new switch assembly.  It also turns out that I have a 71 and up column, not a 70.  I knew this was possible since the car was born as an automatic.

So, I need a turn signal switch assembly for a 71 and up.  Does anyone know where I can get one?  I am not sure I want a reproduction.  I am concerned about the quality of them.  They look kind of cheap from what little I can see of them.
Thanks

JS29

Mike is a great wealth of knowledge! I miss his how too replies and processes. It's a shame he is banned from this sight. I have had nothing but great results with Mike!  :1place:    That is great that he found your problem.  :cheers:

tparker

I bought a 70 and the one I got was indeed cheap. There is a metal springy wire that wasn't making contact correctly. I installed it, buttoned everything up, then finished the rest of the wiring much later only to find that the turn signals wern't working. I had to tear it back down and troubleshoot the issue which was that wire not making contact. A little bend in the right direction fixed it simply enough. I am worried about long term wear because it just feels cheap as compared to the original.

Not sure if they have different years or if they have different manufactures. Good look. Maybe you can buy a old one and cobble together one that works.

GoMangoBoys

The spring contact slides on a plastic tube that appears to be broken off from the base.  No doubt allowing it to move side to side.

Dakota

dodj

A pic of my spare crush can...if it helps?

On edit....I see I posted a crush can pic after the troubleshooting had already progressed...sorry 'bout dat. Should have read recent posts before posting..lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

I think I have an old one out of a truck. I would have to check the condition of it and I don't know if it would be the same. I can you pics in the morning.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

GoMangoBoys

@blown motor   Thank you.  Please let me know.

Chryco Psycho

The 71 up have a smaller hazard button & are far more common .
Standard makes the part new TW7 is the part # , Rockauto used to sell it probably still do , it is a decent replacement , I have installed many of them over the years .

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 15, 2023, 10:32:34 PM
The 71 up have a smaller hazard button & are far more common .
Standard makes the part new TW7 is the part # , Rockauto used to sell it probably still do , it is a decent replacement , I have installed many of them over the years .

:iagree: I've had issues with the new OER ones, but never an issue with the TW7's I think I would prefer a new one over a used one. Whichever one you use, you can just plug them in a test them before installing
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 15, 2023, 10:32:34 PM
The 71 up have a smaller hazard button
The 71 up have a larger hazard button.

RJChallenger

@Jay Bee . Nice photo comparison. Also one, I cant remember which one, sez "Hazard" and the other "Flasher."

Chryco Psycho