Main Menu

How many layers of cotton batting to use on Legendary rear seat upper?

Started by Dakota, December 31, 2018, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Legendary's YouTube video on rear bench seat recovering indicated that multiple layers of cotton batting ("at least 3 but no more than 5") should be used on the upper section of the rear seat.   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has done this task before on how many they used.   The car involved is a 70 Challenger.   Thanks!

jt4406

:handshake: Hello Dakota, I recovered my seats using Legendary covers. Maybe you could apply three or four and test fit the cover to see how it looks. My seats had almost no padding there at all, so even a minimal amount would probably be more than what most originally had. I will say that there needs to be some extra padding on the metal frames at the corners.
:cheers:  jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

70 Challenger Lover

A pro showed me how to do them when he put my Legendary covers on. I already had my frame clean and painted plus I put down burlap just like the originals. I remember him using a one inch layer of foam across the back plus a bit extra across the top. He then shaved it a bit at the top to get the shape right. The cover fit just right.

Claudia

Quote from: Dakota on December 31, 2018, 12:17:28 PM
Legendary's YouTube video on rear bench seat recovering indicated that multiple layers of cotton batting ("at least 3 but no more than 5") should be used on the upper section of the rear seat.   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has done this task before on how many they used.   The car involved is a 70 Challenger.   Thanks!

Here are a few pictures from when I redid my rear seat in my '71 Cuda that may help.  I had a total of about 2" thick of foam that I put over the entire frame over top of the canvas before installing the actual covers.  I also agree that some additional padding is needed / beneficial in the corners of the metal frame.