Main Menu

Installing the Interior - any gotcha's?

Started by moparroy, April 04, 2021, 03:51:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

My '74 Cuda is coming back from the paint shop tomorrow!!! So sometime in the coming months I'll be looking to install the interior - most of which was either not there or in boxes when I got the car. Are there any potential gotcha's or issues that I need to be aware of in terms of the order of installing stuff? I am thinking something like: sound insulation; seat belt and trunk wiring; heater box; carpet; dash (assembled as a unit); headliner; trim; back seat; front seat- but wondering for example if the heater box needs to go in after the carpet? or any other dependencies to watch out for. One thing that occurs to me is steering column needs to wait till I put the motor in (installing from below) - so maybe that should be just before the seats go in? Any guidelines appreciated - thanks.

anlauto

Do you need a headliner guy to install for you ? I gotta guy that will come right to your shop. PM me for his number if you're interested...

Make sure the shoulder belt clip brackets are there before the headliner.
I like to make sure everything is on the firewall first before the dash goes in...
I like to make sure the dash is 100% complete before it goes in...
Carpet is almost last...front seat belts are on top of the carpet as well.
The rear interior panels sit on top of the carpet and you can't install them until all the side glass is in and adjusted...
Maybe leave the driver's seat out until after the steering column is installed to give you room to work under the dash...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

I'm sure there are lots more but here a couple that popped to mind immediately:

If you're installing a power brake booster, hang the pivot joint that connects to the brake pedal on the booster before you install it.  I found it impossible to install it from under the dash.

I used a cheap soldering iron to melt the holes through my carpet for the seat mounting bolts, working from the underside of the car.  Made a nice clean hole with no thread pulling.

Single edge razor blades work much better that a utility knife for cutting carpet, but they dull quickly so buy a bunch.  I probably used 4-6 doing my interior. 

Cycle your windshield wiper motor into the "park" position before connecting the wiper linkage for the first time.

Racer57

Sort out the different screws that hold the various plastic panels in place and check the screw holes for fit.  There is also a lot of different lengths. Some for the panels around the backseat area have long shafts.

moparroy

Thanks for the help / heads ups.
On the headliner will keep that in mind - I'll take a shot at it first - have done one before although not an e-body.
The seat belt clips - not sure on that - the 1974 are retractable shoulder belts - is there a clip with those or are you referring to the clips that hold them up against the headliner when they are not retractable? I don't remember removing clips - the headliner was in place when I took the car apart (course back then I did not take pics :() I need to unroll the old headliner and have a look at it - I have not looked at it in well could be almost 20 years (ouch) - I did keep it rolled up after removing it.
Brake booster - yes has one - reconditioned it last week - thanks for that one - I guess I'll treat it as a firewall item and get it fully installed before dash. I could even get the master cylinder in place and all the lines first.
Soldering iron on carpet - head read about that one and yes seems like a really good ideal - or I may use a heated piece of steel dowel to save my soldering iron.
Screws - I bought a new interior screw set a number of years ago - it looks well labelled so that should help.
Let me know if you think of anything else. Right now I put the fresh painted car up on the top of my storage hoist so I keep my fingers off to give the paint a chance to cure. Will work on stuff like brake lines underneath it first.

FE5CUDA

Along with all that has been posted, it's way easier to install the front carpet before the dash, column & heater box.  It will need trimmed in the front and way easier with everything out, then remove the carpet and re-install after everything is in.

anlauto

Quote from: FE5CUDA on April 06, 2021, 01:55:45 AM
Along with all that has been posted, it's way easier to install the front carpet before the dash, column & heater box.  It will need trimmed in the front and way easier with everything out, then remove the carpet and re-install after everything is in.

I like this idea  :thinking: :drinkingbud:

You're correct about the 74 NOT having the clips I was talking about....my mistake, been awhile since I worked on a 74...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Quote from: FE5CUDA on April 06, 2021, 01:55:45 AM

Thanks - good to know - guess that means I need to move it up on my purchase list... the list that never ends - or hopefully some day will end lol.