Main Menu

Interior Plastic Restoration Journey

Started by kawahonda, October 21, 2020, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Fiancé and I did our backseat inspection.

You be the judge.

I'll take this over metro panels any day.

Second photo should how close I got texture to rear panel that wasn't redone (passengers rear).

Anyone who tells you factory panels cannot be redone doesn't know what they are talking about...send them to me.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Quote from: soundcontrol on November 16, 2020, 02:36:51 PM
A guy in a FB paint forum I joined tried to paint something, just industrial paint, and got this surface, looks pretty close to our panels.
He was going for a smooth paint...  :)

Yep....been there and done that...

Both are incorrect. He drop sanded too much in the left image and WAY too much in the right image.

None of those matters if you do every single piece, but if you're trying to get close to other OEM panels, you definitely will want to follow my methods. Shoot fine, shoot 3-4 light and distant coats (minimum) to match OE texture density. He went heavy on the drop sand.

You posted a good example of a texture looking like what anyone's interior house looks like. You'll be upset if that's how it came out to be. I would....it can be done better!

I'm happy to elaborate and help with anyone that has further questions and help. This is not difficult, but it does require some investment. Less than buying new aftermarket stuff though. Like I said, my texture is not perfect. You cannot get it perfect to OE---it's impossible. but you can give it the right density, sheen, and man, it's pretty hard to notice in the end...

Save your originals.

Jay Bee

Quote from: kawahonda on November 20, 2020, 12:20:59 AM
Anyone who tells you factory panels cannot be redone doesn't know what they are talking about...send them to me.

Are you seriously offering this service?

Jay Bee

@kawahonda  it's been a year since the reveal (Reply# 64) and I wonder how they held up through the seasons as in winter storage, summer cruising. Did they fade, get scratched or anything else happen to them. Any update would be appreciated.

kawahonda

I was noticing today on FB that it has been one year!

They have held up fantastic. No peeling, chipping, scuffing, fading, or anything like that!

There was some normal wear where the front door panel "rubs" against the rear panel during opening/closing, but I'm very happy with how it's held up.

I can take pictures if you'd like. I would absolutely use this process again without thinking.

Jay Bee

If they haven't changed in the year then probably not necessary.

One spot I'd like to know about is the top of the drivers door panel. When I drive my arm rests there and the panel gets very dirty, being white doesn't help matters either. Cleaning it, and my arm on it, over the years made it as smooth as a sheet of paper.

kawahonda

I'll snap a shot when I can get the car out. House is being remodeled and the Challenger is covered.

The texture + elastomeric paint is a very hard finish. It's not going to wear out. At least mine hasn't. I've probably driven 500 miles last year though.

Mr Cuda

I just read your thread. You should have gotten rock star status for your effort. I hope people are inspired to try to it on their own faded scratched panels.
I am going to the same thing,  but with different products.

7E-Bodies

@kawahonda ...  Suggested for the seat backs on a 70 RT that are scratched fairly deep in a few spots? Color is F8 green. Someone had stored a valance in the back seat. The rest of the interior was near perfect.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green