Main Menu

Issue with Just Dashes dashpad

Started by Cuda_mark, December 09, 2022, 04:56:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

So, I had this dash recovered about 4 years ago. It has sat indoors, either in the car or on a dash fixture ever since I received it back from Just Dashes. The first time it was put out in the sun, this happened (see pic). Has anyone ever experienced this before? I'm assuming that there was an issue with the glue adhering the cover to the foam. I really have no interest in pull the dash out and stripping it down so we just took a needle and poked a hole in it. The trapped air was released and it is sitting flat now but I wonder if the rest of the cover is going to start popping up on hot days in direct sunlight. I emailed Just Dashes with pictures but, so far, no response.

Has anyone else had this problem?

anlauto

:o that sucks  :fingerscrossed: it doesn't get worse
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

I've had mine for a few years now, maybe close to 5 years ago but would have to check. It has spent a fair amount of time with direct sun light and I don't have any bubbling. I do have some brittle areas that crack when I touch them on the vent. Very annoying.

RUNCHARGER

I wonder how much Just Dashes would charge you for a good one?
Sheldon

340Challman

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 09, 2022, 03:45:22 PM
I wonder how much Just Dashes would charge you for a good one?

This post is scaring me. I had my dash done by Just Dashes 2 years ago and it hasn't been in the car or sun yet. As for cost, I believe it was $1800 for mine. Definitely not cheap. I will be following this closely in case we both need to go pitchfork on them.  :pokeeye:
Kevin

Cuda_mark

Just got this email from just dashes:

Hey Mark,

This bubble thing happens every once in a while but once you let the air out and flatten it down, it shouldnt come back.
If it happens again, we have video instructions on youtube to remove the bubbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1D33SaKTzI

Let us know if it happens again.

Thanks

Bubble fix instructions

Put dash out in the sun to heat vinyl up to a hot temp. If the sun is not available use a heat gun or a blow dryer from 2 feet away, and keep moving to slowly warm up bubble area.  The objective is to make the bubble rise, and get the vinyl hot and pliable. 
Once the bubble is blown up all the way.  Poke a sewing needle at the base of the bubble,(IMPORTANT not in the middle of the bubble),  and make a small hole
With a soft cloth, push the bubble from the opposite side of the needle prick and slowly smooth out the area.
Flash cool the same area with a spray bottle with cold water. This will allow the vinyl to harden while in place.
If needed repeat steps 1-3,  from other sides of the bubble base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1D33SaKTzI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340Challman

Defect in their process or failure of their adhesive if you ask me. The vinyl shouldn't be separating from the foam/substrate like that. If there is no adhesion between the vinyl and substrate this will be a continuous problem. The black vinyl is going to expand much greater and faster than the substrate. Anyone ever see that with any of their cars from back in the day? Not me. We need a B.S. flag emoji because I need to raise it.
Kevin

anlauto

This is why I like the dash pads for Ultimate Rides  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda_mark

Quote from: 340Challman on December 10, 2022, 09:55:37 AM
Defect in their process or failure of their adhesive if you ask me. The vinyl shouldn't be separating from the foam/substrate like that. If there is no adhesion between the vinyl and substrate this will be a continuous problem. The black vinyl is going to expand much greater and faster than the substrate. Anyone ever see that with any of their cars from back in the day? Not me. We need a B.S. flag emoji because I need to raise it.
Notice that the repair video is from 10 years ago so this has been an issue for a while. It seems like they will make it right if it continues to be a problem though, which is good. I have no interest in tearing the dash back out. All wiring is done....

Mr Lee

Regarding adhesion, I think the heat gun re-activates the glue, so, hopefully it will stick once the air gets pushed out... as long as there is (enough) glue in there.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

fc7cuda

Quote from: TX9AAR on December 10, 2022, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 10, 2022, 10:04:56 AM

I didn't have great luck with Ultimate Rides dash pads, the first 3 pads had obvious defects

Yeah, reviews are less then stellar.

Skdmark

I must have got lucky with the Year One pad that's going on 32 years old.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Quote from: TX9AAR on December 10, 2022, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 10, 2022, 10:04:56 AM

I didn't have great luck with Ultimate Rides dash pads, the first 3 pads had obvious defects

I've bought and installed 23 of them so far, not counting the ones I have here now. Yes there has been, what I would call "minor" defects, but to this day I have not seen large bubbles form on them after being in the sunshine. :looney:

IN MY OPINION ....they have never been perfect, but are the best available reproduction on the market. I have installed customer supplied "Just Dashes" in the past, but will never purchase them based solely on their appearance....I personally do not like the look of them. :alan2cents:

Mopar5

Another possibility  is that the glues that are available now are not as "good" as they once were due to new VOC regulations.

Marty