Main Menu

Latch rod retaining clips

Started by Challenger in NC, April 15, 2017, 03:27:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Anyone know where i can source some of these plastic clips that attach the connecting rods to the door latches. Perhaps the rod can be retained without these clips but by using some type of tiny pin or other means.

Challenger in NC

Cuda Cody

Good deal.  We have several local hardware stores around here that carry those automotive clips.  The place we have is called Parkrose Hardware, but think places like Napa and auto parts stores carry them too if you need one quickly and don't want to wait for ebay.   :alan2cents:

Challenger in NC

Challenger in NC

What about the cloth insulation that wraps around the rods? What do most use, maybe some split rubber tubing? The material is frayed on mine and looks like crap.

69BFan

We carry what is basically available now.  The first alternative is basically a tennis shoe lacing with both ends open so that it can be slid up onto the rod.  The second alternative which looks more correct is the asphalt wire loom material as used on the pre 40 models.  To my knowledge, the original material is pretty much like the wrapping as found on the wiring harness as found on these cars.  It was actually a paper fabric material and there is only one shop in Detroit still doing the custom work, but it is very expensive.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Challenger in NC

So where can I find what you offer?

69BFan

I will snap a picture of the door rod sleeves tomorrow for you to take a look at.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

69BFan

Attached is the wire loom that we have used on some cars.  It can be found with the following inside diameter:  1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" up go 3/4".  I believe that a door lock rod is 5/32" in diameter and we have used the 3/16" and 1/4" style .  The loom is actually a cloth fabric with a asphalt similar coating to duplicate the wire loom as used in the pre40 models.  It is pliable, but nowhere near as soft as the original covering.  The other style is a soft fabric much like a hollow shoe string.  I went to pull on of those, but found that I am out of stock on this piece as well.

Aar1064

This is what I used on my latch rods. Pretty inexpensive and he sells different sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130646130614

Challenger in NC