Main Menu

Modern Challenger Seats in a 1970

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 03, 2020, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JpRngr on September 06, 2020, 04:15:08 PM
I installed leather seats from an '11 Challenger in mine. Biggest thing with the fronts was modifying the floor pans. But, definitely worth it in my opinion. It is a little tight between the steering wheel and seat getting in and out, but fine once in. I installed a smaller diameter wheel to help. The wiring for the seat adjusters is just a matter of 2 wires. Haven't hooked up the heaters yet, though. I also removed the air bags out of my seats. Not very hard if you can handle pulling the seats apart. The rear took a bit more ingenuity. Had to combine the new seat bottom with the old one(cutting & welding required). The seat back required cutting it down as it was way too tall. Cut as much as I could out of the bottom part of it, still enabling the fold down arm rest to work. The main part of it sits only about an inch above the package tray(with the headrests sticking up from there). I have no problem with the looks of the headrests where they're at front or rear.

Yeah I could see where the back seats would require a lot more thought. I think it would look weird though leaving the original backs in with modern front buckets. Throw up a couple pictures if it's not too much trouble.

CudaMoparRay

Glad to see that there are options after all :banana:

Scooter

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 06, 2020, 04:29:36 PM
Quote from: JpRngr on September 06, 2020, 04:15:08 PM
I installed leather seats from an '11 Challenger in mine. Biggest thing with the fronts was modifying the floor pans. But, definitely worth it in my opinion. It is a little tight between the steering wheel and seat getting in and out, but fine once in. I installed a smaller diameter wheel to help. The wiring for the seat adjusters is just a matter of 2 wires. Haven't hooked up the heaters yet, though. I also removed the air bags out of my seats. Not very hard if you can handle pulling the seats apart. The rear took a bit more ingenuity. Had to combine the new seat bottom with the old one(cutting & welding required). The seat back required cutting it down as it was way too tall. Cut as much as I could out of the bottom part of it, still enabling the fold down arm rest to work. The main part of it sits only about an inch above the package tray(with the headrests sticking up from there). I have no problem with the looks of the headrests where they're at front or rear.

Yeah I could see where the back seats would require a lot more thought. I think it would look weird though leaving the original backs in with modern front buckets. Throw up a couple pictures if it's not too much trouble.

To be honest once you get the new seats in.. you do not have a rear seat... lol.

Just a place to keep your hat and jacket.

I'm leaving the original rear bench in.. no way that rear from the 08 was going in there... already tossed it.

JpRngr

Quote from: Scooter on September 14, 2020, 04:48:11 PM

To be honest once you get the new seats in.. you do not have a rear seat... lol.

I'm leaving the original rear bench in.. no way that rear from the 08 was going in there... already tossed it.

Not true, I fit in my back seat and I'm not a small guy. Granted I couldn't sit behind someone similar in the drivers seat, but it's not bad. I've even had 5 people in my car a couple times.

Scooter

Quote from: JpRngr on September 17, 2020, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: Scooter on September 14, 2020, 04:48:11 PM

Not true, I fit in my back seat and I'm not a small guy. Granted I couldn't sit behind someone similar in the drivers seat, but it's not bad. I've even had 5 people in my car a couple times.

I'll buy that with the original buckets up front.

Don't see anyone sitting behind the drivers side at all... maybe my youngest son could sit the bump and passenger side rear.

Be close if he had to get out quick for a pit stop... lol. 

JpRngr

So, Forgot I was asked to post some pics. Let's see if this works.

70 Challenger Lover

Thanks for the photos. I see you made some custom braces underneath. I'll need to do something similar.

So now that's it's done, do you have any regrets about the look or wish you had made the floor higher or lower?

JpRngr

Only real regret was that I didn't have the materials or ability to more closely match the original in appearance. With the C-channel braces, it should be stronger and gave the seats something to mount to other than sheet metal. I'm happy with seat height, just at some point, probably will put a tilt column in to make it easier getting in and out.

Corey

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JpRngr on October 31, 2020, 11:33:18 AM
Only real regret was that I didn't have the materials or ability to more closely match the original in appearance. With the C-channel braces, it should be stronger and gave the seats something to mount to other than sheet metal. I'm happy with seat height, just at some point, probably will put a tilt column in to make it easier getting in and out.

Corey

The seats I picked up have full power on the driver side so I'm hoping that will help on wheel clearance. I think the tuff wheel is slightly smaller in diameter and if so, I may add that too for extra clearance.

On matching materials, my dash and interior panels are wasted. I know a really good custom upholstery guy and he wants the challenge of trying to recover the dash and door panels in a way that goes with the new seat material while maintaining some of the original look. I've seen other custom dashes and interiors he's done and I think he might be able to pull it off. My plan is to drop it all off along with seats and see what ideas he comes up with.

JpRngr

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on October 31, 2020, 11:46:02 AM

On matching materials, my dash and interior panels are wasted. I know a really good custom upholstery guy and he wants the challenge of trying to recover the dash and door panels in a way that goes with the new seat material while maintaining some of the original look. I've seen other custom dashes and interiors he's done and I think he might be able to pull it off. My plan is to drop it all off along with seats and see what ideas he comes up with.

Actually, I meant the flat sheet metal I used, I wish I could have made it look more original. LOL. Shoulda been more specific.

I think my black leather looks great! Matches fairly well to me. I was also able to use a newer console that I modified to fit the whole package while using the newer shifter.