Main Menu

Hellcrate engine and modern interior for my 1970 Challenger

Started by Moparkin, August 07, 2019, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparkin

Thanks Bigshclunk. After replacing so many body panels, i have become a pretty decent metal fabricator. I think I will be able to adjust the height as needed. My seats in the 1970 Challenger are to low now and I am 6"2".
Thanks Again,
Mark

Moparkin

Thanks for the advice Ragtopdodge. I have not fully committed to the interior modern change out. You make some good points. However, no matter if the interior original or comfortably updated, in few years it will have to be replaced because I plan to drive it like I stole it!

Swamp Donkey

Cool sounding build.  Your build sounds somewhat what I have envisioned for my car.  I'm not going to do the complete modern interior, but definitely upgraded front seats, stereo and gauges.  And of course a 3rd gen Hemi. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

JpRngr

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 07, 2019, 09:18:32 PM
Just to play devil's advocate... will late model seats be low enough... ?  :notsure:

With a little modification to the floor boards, late model seats fit fine.

MoparDave

Quote from: Moparkin on August 07, 2019, 09:36:40 PM
Thanks Mopar Dave, if it okay? I will give you a call next week. I am looking for Hellcrate engine, the plug and play wiring harness, and all of the pulleys attached. Also, I may need a new K frame for the Hellocrate. I am looking to minimize space under the hood for AC, headers and electric steering.
Thanks Again,
Mark

Mark. i'm open anytime at on your time. If I don't answer. leave a message and i'll return your call. thanks.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

ragtopdodge

Quote from: Moparkin on August 07, 2019, 09:49:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Ragtopdodge. I have not fully committed to the interior modern change out. You make some good points. However, no matter if the interior original or comfortably updated, in few years it will have to be replaced because I plan to drive it like I stole it!

This is SORTA what I meant (don't like the gauges; prefer OEM w/DD gauges), but you get the idea how to me, this looks better:

Than this:

nsmall

Took me forever to find this.  Was trying to remember the builds name when all I had to do was go search in the restoration pages :whiteflag:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/1971-cuda-hellcat-chiquita/5778/

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ragtopdodge on August 08, 2019, 04:43:15 PM
Quote from: Moparkin on August 07, 2019, 09:49:17 PM

This is SORTA what I meant (don't like the gauges; prefer OEM w/DD gauges), but you get the idea how to me, this looks better:

Than this:

For comparison sake, here's my Speedhut dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

That top picture reminds me of a 67-68 camaro. Not a mopar cluster. :alan2cents:

392 Cuda

People have used the dash too... If you're going that far, it might be something to look at - just buy a whole junked hellcat.

I personally went with something closer to @GoodysGotaCuda with my gauges. I like his combo gauge better, but I got a deal for the set on craigslist. You can probably see the component speakers in the door, covering up the window crank hold. Nobody seems to like that, but I'll never sell the car, and could replace the panels if I did.

I wanted the modern switch in the console for power windows. I mocked it up with cardboard, and planned to cut out some standard carfi black plastic to fit it in there. (Although now I might cut it all out and put an 8 speed and a modern challenger console in there.)

392 Cuda

@JpRngr, any experience with modifying the floorboards to fit the seats?

Shoooter

When are you planning on starting the build?  Will there be firewall modifications?

JpRngr

Quote from: 392 Cuda on August 09, 2019, 07:34:31 AM
@JpRngr, any experience with modifying the floorboards to fit the seats?

The outter portion of the floor board needs to be removed and replaced with a flatter piece that sits level with the inner portion. I did this with mine along with adding some reinforcements where the new bolt holes are. Seats sit down a couple inches and have plenty of headroom. I installed seats from an '11 Challenger in mine. Still need to hook up the wiring, but as is, they're in a perfect spot for me with plenty of adjustment room.

Corey