Main Menu

Name this Part

Started by PatO, June 17, 2018, 07:38:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

I'm just about ready to put my dash back into the car and I had this one baggy with a few misc parts that I identified as taken out when I removed the dash.  For the life of me I can't remember what these small "brackets"? are for or where they went. I took pictures of the dash after it was out, but these were removed as I was taking the dash out.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions  :notsure:   This is out of a 1972 Challenger.

RUNCHARGER

They're wire looms. Hopefully someone will have a photo of the back of the dash to show you where they go.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

anlauto

Those aren't from a dash...My guess is they were drilled off of the firewall or more likely (depending on size) removed from valve covers. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

I've seen wire looms for the console harness screwed to the floor board under the driver's bucket seat  :dunno:

PatO

Some good ideas there. the car had a hodge podge of new and old screws, nuts and bolts. I may have inadvertently mixed these up. They do have the heavy black plastic coating on the ends so I think that they were for wires. I'm wondering if they ARE for the console light harness!  I've got that sorted out and I remember the wire was routed and held in place with some sort of loom.  I'm going to take a look for a few screw holes in my floor pan.

Thank you! You guys are always helpful.  :waving:

dodj

I believe there are one or two like that behind the kick panel - drivers side.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

In 73-74 they had them screwed on the floor pan for the seat belt warning wiring. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BIGSHCLUNK

I have one of those holding the speedo cable underneath...

PatO

Well, I believe they are for wiring. I do have another 2 of those on the right side under the kicker panel.  Those are welded in place and still remain. I believe they hold the rear wiring harness as it connects to the main dash harness.

The ones pictured have holes in them to be screwed in place.  My car does have the seatbelt warning light, but I do remember, at least in my 63 year old mind, that something held the transmission console light wire to the passenger side floor plan. But I didn't take a picture. I removed that wire when I took the dash out. I also have a seat belt assembly with wires on it but there was no wire to the dash area.  I don't quite remember if there was one for the speedo cable or not not. 

The way it works for me, is that some of this will pop into my mind at about 3 am in the morning, sometime in the next few days. :smile:

The info is much appreciated - it has me looking in the right direction.

PatO

Ok, went out and looked more closely under the car. There were 2 holes in each part of the floor pan under both the driver and passenger seat location. Can't see from above because of the rattle trap sheets I had placed.  :wrenching:

I'm not using the seat belt warning light buzzer so maybe I'll use one of the extras for the speedometer cable on the underside once I figure that location out. 

anlauto

If your 72 has the seat belt warning light, then that's exactly what they are for, two on each side. The console shift lamp wiring was/is held in place with black "masking" style tape. :alan2cents: